Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a cracked tile?

anuppandey115
Getting Established

How to repair a cracked tile?

20230703_111542.jpgtried using a epoxy filler and later using nailpolish- but its not working. Please suggest

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair/hide the tile crack as shown in the figure below??

Good afternoon @anuppandey115 

Welcome to the Bunnings Community :smile: and 😕 to that crack. When you say you have tried to use an epoxy filler do you mean that you took the cracked piece out and then tried to glue it back in? Also with the nailpolish was that to colour match the tile?

I havnt had to repair a tile like this yet (one day tho I am sure to) but id be tempted to use a sharp knife and cut the grout to the left of the crack and then gently ease out that cracked piece. With the intention if successful to fill the area and replace that sliver of tile. It looks like the tile is hollow underneath that cracked piece so I am hopping its not mortared in. 

Waiting to hear back what you mean by epoxy filled it. 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair/hide the tile crack as shown in the figure below??

Hello @anuppandey115 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your cracked tile.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Generally, the tile should be removed and replaced with a new one, but looking at your photo it seems that it is under the toilet bowl which will require you to dismantle the toilet. If you're not prepared for that type of repair, I suggest using Dunlop Ready-To-Go coloured grout

I recommend looking for the closest match in colour and filling the crack in the tile. I suggest using a QEP Handyman Squeegee to spread the grout into the crack and wipe off the excess grout with a damp sponge.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to grout wall tiles (the techniques used are applicable to your project.)

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
anuppandey115
Getting Established

Re: How to repair a cracked tile?

Hi Dave,

My bathtub drain cover had to be replaced and to access the drain cover underneath the bathtub, we had to remove the tile and in the process, due to negligence from the plumber, it was broken. Was promised by the plumber that they would repair it for no cost but he is out of contact now- been a while. Anyway, I tried to repair it myself.

I tried to fill the gap using the white grout (the same that we use to seal the tiles in the corner of the wall) and later paint it using nail polish- but it did not work out.

Today I went to Bunnings, Thomastown, and had a chat with one of the team members- she suggested using "Selleys 50g Knead It Multi-Purpose Epoxy Putty" and later painting with Dulux Renovation range- What do you think?? will it work?? or you suggest using colored grout (Dunlop Ready-To-Go colored grout.)???

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @anuppandey115 

If the tile is glued into position and can no longer be removed, I suggest trying to cover the crack with the coloured grout to disguise it. Using the Knead it putty is a possible solution but is more difficult to accomplish. The putty must be sanded flat, and the paint finish must be exact, or the repair will stand out even further.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @anuppandey115 

Id follow @EricL 's suggestion. If that cracked piece cant be moved I would try and hide the crack with the grout mix. From what I saw there are a bunch of colours available. I hope there is something close to the colour of your tile.

Dave

Thanks, Dave and Eric- I will try my luck and will use Dunlop Ready-To-Go colored grout.  Let's see if I will be able to disguise it or not.

Regards,

Anup

Please keep us updated @anuppandey115 and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

20230714_135604.jpgHi mitchell,

I used the coloured grout as suggested and been able to disguise the crack to some extent..

Thank you for the suggestions..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @anuppandey115 

Thank you for posting that update of your repair work. It looks very well done and the damage is very difficult to spot. If you have any other projects you need help with, please don't hesitate to post a question. We'll be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects