Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracks in bathroom ceiling?

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

How to repair cracks in bathroom ceiling?

My bathroom ceiling has visible stables between 2 sheets. How can I hide them and what product should I use to fix the long crack between the sheets? Also I have the bathroom corner leading to the ceiling cracked as well. How can I fix this?

IMG_1450.jpegIMG_1449.jpegIMG_1447.jpegIMG_1448.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom ceiling

Hi @Nanne,

Have a look at this step-by-step guide on How to repair a water-damaged ceiling. Your repair will be much the same process, but I'd recommend you use Poly 310g Bathroom And Kitchen Filler as it's more suitable for a wet area. Once you've repaired the damage, you'll need to undercoat and use suitable bathroom paint.

For the tiled section, you should use Selleys 300g White Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant. You could use Selleys 410g White No More Gaps Bathroom And Kitchen Gap Filler to fill the other gaps, but since it's not sandable like the Poly filler, you could end up with a bit of a mess. If you were to use the Selleys gap filler, I'd suggest taping either side of the crack and then running a fine bead of silicone along it. You can then wet a finger and run it over the area to smooth the filler. Remove the tap once you're done. After the filler is dry, you can paint over it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Bath.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Thank you MitchellMc! Loved the detailed info! Which of the 2 products would give better result for the ceiling and other gaps?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

To repair the issues correctly @Nanne, you would use Selleys 300g White Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant for the gap in the tiles and then Poly 310g Bathroom And Kitchen Filler for the sections on the wall and ceiling. To get a great result, you'll need to apply several coats of the Poly filler and sand them back in between.  

Appling Selleys 410g White No More Gaps Bathroom And Kitchen Gap Filler to the gap on the ceiling and wall would be a quicker method giving relatively low-quality yet functional results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects