Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair laundry ceiling where one corner has started to come down?

Phantom
Finding My Feet

How to repair laundry ceiling where one corner has started to come down?

As a result of the recent wild weather our bathroom gyprock ceiling has fallen in one carner by about 6 inches, I have propped it up.

How do I go about reattaching it to the timber battens in the roof void?

Your assistance would be greately appreciated!

Cheers

Phantom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry Ceiling one corner has started to come down

Hello @Phantom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your laundry ceiling.

Generally speaking, you can either screw the panel back on using Zenith 6G x 30mm Gold Passivated Bugle Head Plasterboard Screws or nail it back on using Paslode 30 x 2.8mm 500g Plasterboard Nails. Please note that when re-attaching the panel make sure that you're screwing it back to the ceilings timber frame.

However, before you attempt any repairs, I highly recommend investigating if there is a leak in your roof. One of the reasons that your ceiling gib has come off is because of water pooling in the gib and softening it enough that it tore away from the original fixings. I strongly suggest fixing the leak before you re-attach the panel. But if I'm wrong and it was caused by heavy winds then it's safe to screw the panel back on.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Laundry Ceiling one corner has started to come down

Hi Eric, my apologies for the so late response in thanking you for your very helpful information, it was of great assistance. I'm still getting my head around the Network and the systems to communicate.

Take Care

Phantom

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects