Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair spindle tap that won't turn?

Honest52
Cultivating a Following

How to repair spindle tap that won't turn?

The spindle tap won't switch on for shower. No screws, and no washer of unwind anticlockwise many times of the tap. Cannot see any holes for tap head removal tool? 

It's a popular new tap but broke only in a couple of years.

Any advice? Photo attached below 

20230514_090326.jpg

20230514_090331.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Spindle tap wont turn on Shower

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Honest52 . It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a tap spindle.

It sounds like the tap valve has become stuck and is not allowing the water to be turned on. You'll need to remove the tap handle and spindle to access the situation. Make sure to turn your mains water off before removing the tap spindle.

Behind the tap handle, where the spindle attaches, there will be two slots that should correspond with the tool available in this kit. This nut needs to be undone to release the tap handle. You'll then be able to undo the flange and access the tap spindle for removal. Have a look at this discussion on How do I remove these tap handles, as it has pictures of the nut you are trying to access.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Honest52
Cultivating a Following

Mitchell

Thanks for your valuable advice!

I bought new kit as instructed to remove the washer hiding secretly behind the tap.

The washer is very tight. Which direction should I turn anticlockwise or clockwise???

I worry about breaking the teeth of the spanner. It's not high quality. 

Also,I apply WD40 to the washer too.

Any advice for using the tap head spanner?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's a good question, @Honest52. I believe it's a standard anti-clockwise to loosen thread. However, if you are looking down at the top of the tap, the tool will need to be turned clockwise.

Mitchell

Honest52
Cultivating a Following

20230514_174815.jpg

tap head spanner is broken now. Return it to Bunnings and get new tap head spanner if I can?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's likely the only option, @Honest52. These nuts tend to be very stubborn as the build-up of soap scum penetrates their threads and locks them in place. If a new spanner and another application of WD-40 doesn't assist, you might need to consider cutting the spindle shafts and replacing the taps.

Mitchell

Honest52
Cultivating a Following

Screenshot_20230515_071058_Gallery.jpg

Honest52
Cultivating a Following

Thanks.

I will try to get new tool and WD 40to work on it again.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects