Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair stuck bathroom basin press plug?

Wellyeaman
Growing in Experience

How to repair stuck bathroom basin press plug?

678AA03B-6280-4FA4-9B5E-D4DED23F818E.jpeg21714A4E-054E-4B22-A79E-044532DF3DE5.jpeg89409741-468E-435B-B2A0-BA181AF768B1.jpegWe have just moved into another house and the main bathroom sink plug was jammed. The plug plunger will not move and spring back into place. I have tried a few things to loosen it but I haven’t been successful. Is it worth trying to free it up or do I need to replace it and ifso will I need to remove all of the plumbers putty first? And what is the best way to do that?

thanks, Peter.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: bathroom basin press plug stuck?

You can buy new plug tops and spring spindles from Bunnings. The top of the plug is screwed onto the top of a spring loaded spindle. The spindle in turn is held place by a thread at the bottom but has flat areas at the top so you can undo it with a shifter or pliers. I suggest you use pointy nose pliers to unscrew the plug and then you will be able to get to the top of the spring loaded part which is what is causing the problem and unscrew it. Plugs come in 2 sizes so make sure you get the right one. JDE

Wellyeaman
Growing in Experience

That’s very helpful JDE. I have managed to get the top circular plug off and not quite sure how to remove the spring loaded spindle. I can only see one small flat region on both sides of the spring. Do I turn it anti-clockwise to undo? There seems to be only one small flat spot on the top of the spring where I grab with the plyers.  I’ve uploaded a photo of what I am seeing now..394F80BF-2542-48DF-BF94-3AECF7D8FB09.jpeg

Wellyeaman
Growing in Experience

Now that I can try the spring, sometimes it works at other times it gets stuck.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

The small flat bits on the side at the top is where you grab it. From memory turn anticlockwise. You can replace whole spring piece. They have them at Bunnings. JDE   

Wellyeaman
Growing in Experience

Thanks JDE, I was able to get the spring off and went to Bunnings and purchased a new spring. The plug works well now. Thanks very much for your help.

We have two more plugs. I think I will replace them also! Regards!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wellyeaman. It's great to have you join us.

It's also wonderful to see that one of our resident experts, @JDE, has jumped straight into the discussion and helped you solve the issue.

We'll be looking forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to reach out anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. Yes, we have just moved into another house so I’m sure I will need to contact this group again soon. Thanks again!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects