Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair sunken waste trap?

Iwish
Finding My Feet

How to repair sunken waste trap?

After some suggestions please

Shower waste trap (upstairs bathroom) has sunken by 2mm at one end - which has resulted in lifting up of epoxy at the other end. Unsure what caused it and whether it's a major issue or not. There is no leakage in the ceiling downstairs and there is water present when I look down in the trap. 

Waste Trap.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair sunken waste trap?

Hello @Iwish

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your waste trap.

Your floor waste is theoretically sitting on a floor flange or is connected directly to the waste pipe. If you look at a typical PVC  waste such as the Holman 100mm DWV PVC Round Floor Grate. You'll notice that it has a rubber o-ring that fills the gap between the pipe and the waste. If the waste itself doesn't have enough support it will tend to move when stepped on.

Generally, that floor waste is not suppose to move, the lip of the waste is to be supported all around to prevent such an occurrence. I suggest removing all the grout around the waste and manually re-levelling the waste. Once that's accomplished, I recommend using Dunlop grout under the lip and all around the waste. The key to this repair is to let the grout dry off and then seal the repaired area with Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer this will prevent the grout from getting wet and softening up.

Should this repair prove ineffective, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber and a tiler. The plumber will fix the floor waste permanently to the pipe so that it does not move and the tiler will grout the area so that all works done will be under warranty.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your floor waste repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Iwish
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your detailed message - really appreciated.

Basically, the plumber came a couple of weeks ago and said that there is no movement and as a result I ended up calling the epoxy guy to redo the epoxy grout under the warranty. He came and basically stood on the trap and the floor and you could hear the noise of movement. He suggested to get a tiler to retile the floor. I have already called the licenced plumber who will come and have a look. At this stage, I am not sure the best way to tackle the issue but hopefully the plumber will be reasonable enough to advice around the way forward. The good thing I believe is there is no leakage underneath so in my mind waterproofing is still (hopefully) intact. Have provided an image what it looks like now. Shower Floor.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Iwish

Thank you very much for the update, your registered plumber should be able to guide you on the steps necessary to repair your shower waste. Generally, the repair steps should be that the plumber secures the waste back into place making sure that it does not move or wobble. If the plumber says that the waterproofing is still intact all you need to do is to tile back the parts that were taken off.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects