Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a shower fitting?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to replace a shower fitting?

I am trying to install a new shower fitting but am having difficulty.    When I twist the fitting around and tighten it, I cant turn it to the position that it needs to be,     When I screw the fitting around and its nearly as tight as it should be,  it really needs to turned more to be right - but I think the unit would break if I turned it more.   Is there a failproof way of installing this?

shower fitting 1.jpgshower fitting 2.jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing a shower fitting

Hello @ennoh

Thank you for sharing your question about how to replace and install a shower fitting.

I suggest starting from the beginning. Remove the showerhead and remove all the plumber's tape that is currently on the threaded pipe. Put a new layer of plumbers tape starting from the front of the threaded pipe. Roll the tape twice at the start of the pipe but move the tape to the back on the third round, add two more turns and stop. 

Screw the showerhead on the threaded pipe. On the third turn, level the showerhead so that it is in its proper position. Turn the cold water on to see if it is leaking along the join. If it is not leaking leave the showerhead alone. However, if you are getting a leak, unscrew the showerhead and add two more turns of plumber's tape in the back of the threaded pipe only. Screw the showerhead back on but no more than three turns.

Overtightening the showerhead assembly will snap the mounting nut. The mounting of the assembly only needs to be firm but not excessively tight. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your showerhead level and installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

I am still having issues.   I turn it five and a half times before its tightly enough secured - and that makes it half a turn short of where it should be.  I have tried this several times and always end up with the same result.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ennoh,

If the showerhead is always stopping half a turn short of where it should be, then it sounds like you don't have enough thread tape on the threaded section. Is the nut bottoming out on the wall, and is that what is stopping you from finishing at the correct location? How many rotations of tape are you doing?

Unfortunately, this is one of those things where after you've installed fixtures onto threaded pipes many times, you kind of get a feel for it. Even now, though, I might need to try redoing the thread tape a few times before I get a showerhead in the correct position.

Mitchell

ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell and Eric!    This is a great place for answers!    I tried again and put three more layers of plumbers tape and it worked like a treat.   All sorted now.  Thanks!!!!!shower fitting installed.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Well done persevering and getting it sorted, @ennoh!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects