Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a sliding shower screen?

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

How to replace a sliding shower screen?

Hi folks. As I think I said in a previous post I have one of those sliding shower screens which, despite using every cleaning product under the sun, won't clean back as the grime has discoloured the silicone in the screen so its ingrained and won't come out (this was picked up as a possibility in another post I think). This has always been a very difficult shower screen to keep clean due to the nooks and crannies so to keep up with the rest of the almost now beautiful bathroom I think its time to bite the bullet and replace it. My question is how hard is it to replace the sliding door ensemble with a simpler opening swing door? Can the standing framework be used or will it be a case of having to replace the whole shower enclosure? Maybe something like the Mondella Frameless shower Door kit but unsure if this is something I could do or would need a professional. The shower enclosure is clean and in good condition so its just the door thats the problem and needs and update.

20230926_075013_resized.jpg20230926_075033_resized.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a sliding shower screen?

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack,

Provided the width of the opening is within the requirements for the new shower door, it would be entirely possible to install the new door and frame into the existing enclosure. How easy it will be to install likely comes down to how well the enclosure was finished prior to installing the current frame. If it's tiled neatly under the frame then it could be as simple as removing the current frame and then installing the new one. Given this project will involve large glass panels that can easily shatter, it would be best to have a couple of quotes done to see if this is something you'd like to have a professional complete for you. If it's a reasonable price to have the new door professionally installed, I'd recommend you go that route.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects