Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a toilet?

PhoenixClose1
Growing in Experience

How to replace a toilet?

Hi, I am going to replace my old toilet bowls with new and not too expensive ones. 

This is what my current toilet bowl is like (this if off the internet but very similar)

toilet bowl 2.jpg

This is the back of my current toilet (real photo of my toilet bowl)

toilet bowl.jpg

Are these compatible replacements?  I want to make sure the plumber won't have issues installing them.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mondella-concerto-back-to-wall-rimless-toilet-suite-wels-4-star-4-3-l-fu...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mondella-white-signature-rimless-back-to-wall-toilet-suite-wels-4-star-4...

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a toilet?

Hello @PhoenixClose1 

Thanks for sharing your question about replacing your toilet. The good news is the toilets you've picked have universal fittings and will fit on either wall or floor exit pipes. You'll need to take into account the set out, the set out is the distance between your wall and the centre of the waste pipe if it is going down the floor. The units you've chosen have a maximum set out of 180mm. I suggest measuring your toilets set out before purchasing the toilet of your choice.   

Another issue is the location of the toilets water tap. If it is too far in it will get hit by the skirt of the toilet and it won't fit. The plumber will then need to cut into your wall to move the tap so that the toilet can slide all the way to the wall.

Your other choice which is the Mondella White Signature Rimless Back To Wall Toilet Suite WELS 4 Star 4.5 L/full has a slimmer profile and it might fit without having to move the tap. I recommend just being prepared for that extra cost of moving the tap. 

However, if your plumber decides that it will not work, please keep the packaging intact and do not apply any silicone sealant to the unit and bring it back in for an exchange.

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @PhoenixClose1,

Just to add to Eric's reply that Bunnings offers a toilet installation service through Hi-pages if you need a plumber.

Jason

PhoenixClose1
Growing in Experience

So the two toilets I want to replace are both S-trap, but have different set-offs. One is 130mm, the other is 180mm (images attached).

I have replaced the old skirting, and for that reason I am NOT going with back-to-wall models.

A couple of questions though.  Some toilets have a single offset, like this one:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/azzurra-bathroom-furniture-closed-couple-neo-toilet-suite-wels-4-star-4-...

1) If an S-trap toilet says its offset is (say) 140mm, does that mean it won't work with my toilets (130mm and 180mm)? Or are plumbers able to make them work?

2) If the plumber has to do something to make it work, is that additional price on top of Bunnings' $275 toilet installation fee?

Thanks

Toilet 2 Setoff.jpgToilet 1 Setoff.jpg

Hi @PhoenixClose1 

Do  make sure you have some silicon lube for toilet fitting test runs on to the toilet pan collar.

I also like to buy a cheap exersice mat  i place toilet on it and trace out a base inner and outer areas, and make the outer edges 5 mm short of the porcelain edge for a silicon gap,   I use remains of mat for kneeling on :smile:   The foam  mat smooths out tile imperfections under toot and later two weeks after fitting you can  silicon the toilet to the floor with ease as the foam setltes down to its final compression.

I liquid nails the foam foot onto toilet over night so it wont come off during toilet manovers,

There is a standard sort of s trap fitting that usually comes with a  toilet that is cutable to  varing sizes and it will also give you a slight angle lee way

if you need it all though it was never meant as such.

There are a number of flexible trap alternate solutions that any plumber would be able to call upon including a flexible concertena style as   last resort, (i prefer smother  fittings for less sticking points, There are  cam style fitting as well for variable distances, and offsets.

You may have to sit your toilet 50 mm to the left of centre of your bath room as the right side of the toilet rear side wall will need to fit between the water tap and sewer out let.  This will save you the costs of moving  water tap,

50mm toilet offset will give you more room for a  reading shelf or TP  shelf arrangement on the wall so a  good  out come.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PhoenixClose1 

Some toilet sets are adjustable like the Stylus Allegro Link Toilet Suite WELS 3 Star 6 L/full. It can go to a maximum set out of 250mm. However, it can only go as short as 150mm. If the plumber has to do any extra work or add extra parts that will be an additional cost to the installation fee. 

It's best to inform the plumber of the situation so that they can bring the appropriate parts for the job. There are ways and means to install the toilet suite so that it fits into the set-out space, but I suggest speaking to your plumber before they start making any changes.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects