Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace bathroom vanity benchtops?

nicfit99
Finding My Feet

How to replace bathroom vanity benchtops?

5F6E9DD1-973C-402A-8F1E-BA2F46ADCCC8.jpeg

8694CB63-6744-4531-9247-C193E6A00E5B.jpeg

59AD1A16-0CD1-4F29-B98C-E622F2F13E17.jpeg

i repainted my bathroom benches following all directions and they are hideous, the paint turns opaque every time it’s wet and bubbled in some spots. Can I go over the top of exiting benches with new bench tops, is this possible? How does it work around basins? I want to avoid tiling again. Thanks for any advice

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: replace bench tops

Hi @nicfit99,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had issues painting your vanity benchtops. Painted coatings are generally opaque as you can't see through them. Does the paint turn translucent when wet? If so, I haven't heard of that before, and with two coats plus primer, there shouldn't be any transparency. The bubbling certainly sounds like an issue, and I can only imagine some type of incompatibility with the surface. Did you use a primer on the bench before painting?

You can certainly go over the benchtops without removing them. It might also be an excellent time to consider any upgrades to your sink bowl or tapware. I think you could use a timber panelEstilo 400mm White Round Counter Top Basin and Mondella WELS 5 star 6L/min Matte Black Rumba Tall Basin Mixer effectively.

If you were going to use your existing basin, it would need to be removed, a cutout placed in the new benchtop, and the bowl re-installed. I can't see a way of leaving the bowl in situ. You wouldn't need to tile again as the new benchtop would butt up against the tiles, and you can run a fresh bead of silicone along the back edge of the new bench.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your response. I will consider the bench tops but I do not want to replace basins etc.

I did primer, I followed all the steps associated with the white knight process which was a time consuming process and a waste of money really given the outcome.

image.jpg

 the translucent white section occurs whenever wet, this had soap dish on it and will disappear after a while

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nicfit99,

Did you apply the White Knight 1L Clear Bench Top Protective Coating? I assume you did since you've done everything else correctly, and if so, I am unsure why you'd be experiencing these watermarks. However, the White Knight 1L White Gloss Renew Tile And Laminate Paint by itself without the protective coating is only suitable for vertical free-draining surfaces where water pooling does not occur. If the protective coating wasn't used, the pooling water is causing the white marks.

If you did use the protective coating, I'll contact White Knight after the weekend to see if there is any way we can resolve this situation for you.

Mitchell

Yes I coated it also

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nicfit99

My apologies for the late reply. That is a very puzzling effect that's happening on your painted vanity benchtop. Just to be clear on the steps you took, you used the White Knight 500ml Renew Tile And Laminate Primer Paint. Then you painted over the primer with  White Knight 1L White Gloss Renew Tile And Laminate Paint and then you covered it with the White Knight 1L Clear Bench Top Protective Coating. How many days has it been since you painted the benchtop? Do you get sunlight and wind inside your bathroom or is it often closed in? How many days did you wait before you put your dish soap back on the vanity benchtop?

Although White Knight says that the paint is touch dry in two hours full strength is not achieved until after several days. This would probably take longer if there is heavy moisture regularly present in the room. Let me make some inquiries for you with our provider. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Yes all three steps, was not cheap!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nicfit99,

Many thanks for clarifying, and I appreciate your patience. I've spoken to the White Knight technical team, and they would like to take a closer look at the issues you are experiencing. If you could please email through some pictures to whiteknightcontactus@ppg.com of the bubbled sections and the areas where you're experiencing the white marks associated with moisture, they'll be able to investigate further.

Please let me know if you need any assistance sending through those images.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects