Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace laundry tap and fix leaking toilet?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to replace laundry tap and fix leaking toilet?

Hi All,

Good morning. Need some advice. The first pic below is my laundry hot water cap. It was cap and I could not unscrew the cap. Think it was rusted. How do I remove the complete tap and maybe take it out unscrew the cap or get a new one? Second and third photo is my toilet. Previously is leaking I change the rubber on the flusher thingy but still leak.planning to change the whole flushing system on the right..not sure which one will fit . How do I find out? Or anyone know which one can fit?

IMG20230106084414.jpg

  

IMG20230106084345.jpg

IMG20230106084357.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Toilet leaking and laundry tap

Hi @calccom21,

Your tap will unscrew from the wall. You can see some flat spots on the base where you can fix an adjustable spanner. Make sure you turn off the water first if you're going to remove it yourself.

Have you replaced the inlet valve washer? If a toilet is leaking, it can be the flush valve or the inlet valve washer. If the inlet washer is leaking, then the toilet will continually run. A way to check is to turn the water off to the toilet. If the water stops running into the bowl almost immediately, the inlet valve washer needs replacing. You'll find it in the section I've marked below by unscrewing the white threaded cap.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc  - thanks for the info. I have change the inlet valve washer. think it still leaking. Someone recommended me to change the complete set (the one you circle in red). But not sure which one fits or is it a standard size fit all?

Hi @calccom21,

To check to see whether the inlet valve is still leaking, lift the arm up that has the float on it. If it stops the water flowing in, it's likely the flush valve that's the issue.

If you did want to replace the inlet valve, I'd recommend a Fluidmaster Bottom Entry Toilet Inlet Valve. They are a universal valve and should suit your toilet.

Mitchell

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi I lifted the arm up the hissing sound stop but then the moment I put down it continue and non stop

That sounds like the float needs to be adjusted, @calccom21. Try adjusting the float so that it shuts off the water sooner. It appears that the white screw adjusts the timing for when the inlet valve shuts off. Whilst it's sitting there making the kissing sound, tighten the screw right down to see if the hissing stops. If this doesn't work, try loosening the screw right off to see if that does anything.

Mitchell

Flush your cistern, put a bit of food dye in the cistern... Don't flush again.. If your toilet bowl has coloured water in it after an hour, then your flush valve needs replacing.  If there's no coloured water in the bowl and it's still hissing, then replace the inlet valve as Mitchell suggested.

I agree that the Fluid Master inlet valve is best value for money.

But if you need to replace to many parts, sometimes its cheaper to just replace the cistern itself with something like this

You just need to make sure that it's a straight swap where it's not smaller than your current one - otherwise you might need to paint.  But if it's the same size, it's just a nice neat swap.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects