Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace shower tap washers?

Damo8
Just Starting Out

How to replace shower tap washers?

I want to replace my shower tap washers and looked at youtube videos and was all set to do this but when I unscrewed the tap cover plate I found that there wasn't any way to unscrew the tap. The assembly had no hex nut to undo and went into the wall with silicon all around it. Do I have to remove this silicon first and why is it there?

Thanks

RSS
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to replace shower tap washers?

@Damo8, there is a good chance the silicon is hiding the hex (or square) section to get a spanner on. Feel free to post some photos (front and side views), as this might help others to confirm.

It is a good idea to replace the silicon afterwards to help with the waterproofing of the wall.  Make sure you use silicon that is suitable for the bathroom, as this should have something in it to prevent mould from growing on it.

I'm not a plumber, but I think the silicon is there for waterproofing and I don't think it would be an issue to remove it, if, you replace it.

RSS.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace shower tap washers?

Hello @Damo8 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about changing your shower tap washers.

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @RSS. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using a Craftright 18mm Snap Off Knife in combination with Trojan Cut Resistant Safety Gloves. I propose cutting the silicone in small sections until the hex nut is visible, you then just need to clear out enough space for the telescopic tool to grab a hold of the hex body.

Please remember to shut off the mains water supply in front of the house to prevent accidental flooding. Make sure to bring the old tap washers with you to the store to make sure you get the right size. Once you've replaced the washer, I suggest using Selleys 100g Clear Ezi Press Wet Area Silicone Sealant to re-seal the hex body of the shower tap.

Please make sure to follow all the safety precautions recommended at the back of the silicone packaging.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects