Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace tap handles after threads gave way?

itsafixeruper
Finding My Feet

How to replace tap handles after threads gave way?

Hi

Amateur here with tight budget, so I apologise for the naive questions!

I have to replace:

A. 1 shower tap handle ( tap connection/hole is 8mmx8mm)

B. 1 Kitchen tap handle (the hole/connection is 9mmx9mm and the handle sits rounded)

Q1. Is it possible to buy replacement handles or do I need to replace the whole things?

Q2. If I have to replace the whole things, can I just buy any set to do it? Is it standard in Victoria?

Q3. I can't find any brand info on them. Let me know if there's somewhere I should look.

Kitchen tap

1000017898.jpg

1000017899.jpg

1000017900.jpg

Bathroom tap

1000017903.jpg

1000017904.jpg

1000017906.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Replacing tap handles after threads gave way

Hi @itsafixeruper 

If you are on a super budget I would simple araditre the handle back in.  

You can replace the taps you will just need to match the spindle depth into the wall so the valve seats properly.  You can buy  taps sets showers strting around $26   Your  taps look like caroma juna lever wall set  at $135

$135.56

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @itsafixeruper. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing tap handles.

To lock the handles back onto the tap, you'd likely need to replace the missing grub screws. However, the levers for the handles are not something I've seen sold separately, so if they've gone missing, then you'd likely need to replace the whole tap set.

Most tap sets are fairly universal, but you do need to stick with wall tap sets for the walls as they have a deeper spindle.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your responses. 

Getting the handles back on isn't really a problem but it sounds like I can't buy replacement handles I need the sets.

I was really hoping to just replace the kitchen handle. Seems like a waste of a tap!

Thanks for your responses and welcome 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects