Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace tiling around bath?

Bunnsd
Just Starting Out

How to replace tiling around bath?

Hi

My daughter & SIL's combination bath/shower has tiles falling off the walls on two sides of the bath. Probably due to either the water membrane failing or a leak in the plumbing behind the wall

They live in Abbotsford

Which Bunnings store runs DIY workshops on removing, replacing and re tiling the two walls? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace tiling around bath?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bunnsd and thanks for joining in the discussion.

Regarding in-store workshops, could you please clarify which state you are in? You can find and book workshops, garden club, kids D.I.Y. classes and family events at your local store via the Bunnings website. Just click on Stores at the top of the page, then Find a store, then click on the More details option when your chosen store has appeared. This will take you to a page where you can see and book upcoming workshops.

The issue with this bathroom sounds more serious than simply retiling. Obviously if the cause of the issue isn't addressed, then problems will remain. Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL for his thoughts. Have you got any professional advice as yet to diagnose the problem?

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bunnsd
Just Starting Out

Hi Jason
Thanks for the reply
Yes I agree it is a serious leak somewhere 
I won’t know until I remove the wall tiles and what’s left of the wall sheets 
Thanks
Steve
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bunnsd 

I'm afraid that is a serious sign of a plumbing failure if the tiles and the waterproof membrane are coming off the walls. In this particular situation, I suggest starting the demolition by removing the tiles and wall coverings. From your description it appears that the damage has spread to both walls and might spread even further if the leak is not repaired.

I recommend finding the leak first which is your top priority in this type of renovation. Once the leak is repaired you can now slowly assess the extent of the damage in the bathroom. The water damage might not only extend to the wall coverings but to the timber frames as well. 

I suggest engaging the services of a builder so that they can quote you how much the renovation will cost. This will generally include the replacement of the wall frame if it is damaged, the Gyprock CSR 2400 x 1200 x 10mm 2.88sqm Aquachek™ Plasterboard RE, waterproofing and tiling. It is critical that a registered plumber check the area for leaks before the bathroom wall is covered and sealed.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration:  Top 10 most popular bathroom projects 

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects