Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace toilet seal?

pigeon1123
Just Starting Out

How to replace toilet seal?

Hi all! New to the community but would appreciate any help as this is my first foray into home DIY. Recently the toilet seal around my toilet broke and now the bathroom is quite smelly. I did a search for previous posts that had quite in depth instructions in replacing the seal. However...in my case it seems to look a bit different to the seals you can purchase from Bunnings directly as it looks like a sealant to me (but it might just be old and I could be wrong). Have attached photos below, hopefully it is easy to see the black ring that doesn't go around the whole pipe anymore. Any help is appreciated on what I should buy to replace it, and the process to replace it? Thank you in advance.20220914_122329.jpg

20220914_122226.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace toilet seal?

Hello @pigeon1123

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. it's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about replacing your toilet pan seal.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Broken seal on top of wax ring by @atul221282. Replacing the seal is actually very straightforward, however, it is very labour intensive. Generally, the toilet pan has to be disconnected from the cistern and lifted out of the way. The locking ring holding the seal has to be removed and then the seal is replaced. You then just reverse the order of assembly to put everything back together. If you don't feel confident about the procedure, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber or handyperson.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects