Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal a leaking P-trap washing machine spigot?

unclepodge
Finding My Feet

How to seal a leaking P-trap washing machine spigot?

Morning! Moved into a new house, plumbed in washing machine and first run leaked. Problem was water coming out of the little pipe on the P trap. Should this be covered/plugged 

image.jpg

? Or is the P trap blocked? Any advice gratefully received!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: p trap leak

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @unclepodge. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about a leaking waste trap.

The traditional fix for a drilled spigot on a trap is to push a rubber chair leg tip onto it. For extra points, fill the spigot hole with a wet area sealant and pop some in the end of the chair leg tip before pushing it on. An additional hose clamp really seals the deal. The spigot on my trap suits the 22mm chair leg tip, but it's best to measure yours and pickup to the correct size. You want the tip to be slightly difficult to push on and fit tightly. There's no real pressure in a trap unless you have a blockage, so a fix of this nature is normally quite adequate.

As far as I'm aware, there is no specific product to seal a drilled hole in a spigot, and the fix is to replace the trap.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell but there’s no hole in the spigot (is that its name?), it’s just water pouring out the end. Should I seal the end up or should it be open as it is? Thanks

That's it, @unclepodge. I'm referring to the barbed spigot from which the water is pouring. It typically connects a dishwasher/washing machine to the trap. When you get a new trap, the spigot is sealed, and you drill it out before connecting the waste hose from the dishwasher/washing machine. Someone previously had their washing machine hooked up to the spigot, so they drilled it out. If you look into the spigot, that hole at the bottom leads directly into the waste. The spigot is just about level with the top of the S-bend, so when there's a lot of flow through the trap (like when your washing machine is emptying), it will force itself out of the spigot. The spigot needs to be sealed now that it is not in use.

Mitchell

Many thanks Mitchell. Much appreciated!

bc1975
Finding My Feet

Re: How to seal a leaking P-trap washing machine spigot?

I bought a little rubber seal from bunnings for this when i moved out if my rental because i didnt want the cleaners to flood the cupboard.  - think it was called a dishwasher bung or something like that just a few dollars. Was in the plumbing area where the dishwasher plumbing parts are.  Good luck. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal a leaking P-trap washing machine spigot?

Hello @bc1975 

Thanks for sharing that suggestion, let me tag @unclepodge to make sure they are aware of your recommendation.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects