Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal a leaky shower?

khwajas
Growing in Experience

How to seal a leaky shower?

I want to thank this forum for always providing great support to novices like us. 

Recently when one of our bathrooms was undergoing renovation, our second bathroom was heavily used.  We noticed that after successive showers, water was leaking onto carpeted floor outside.  We then stopped using it.  I discussed with a tiler, who obviously  suggested re tiling of the floor with new water proofing.  I also discussed with some sealing companies and they offered to re grout and re seal.  One of them offered to dismantle the shower case and put new water proofing and tiles in shower area. He mentioned about protruding wall tiles joining the floor. A plumber came to install few PC items and he was of the opinion that there was missing silicon on the spout and that was letting water in wall tiles.  Anyway very different views all across. I am confused.  Someone mentioned that there are special products in Bunnings which can be either mixed with grout or sprayed on to seal tiles. 

Need some guidance and advice. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to seal a leaky shower?

Hi @khwajas,

Please share some images of the bathroom and shower so members can see what you are working with. It should help to get more specific advice.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
khwajas
Growing in Experience

Thanks. Sone photos attached.  The shower puddles up so I used the plunger.  But still drainage is not great.  Second as we are using sparingly issue is not manifesting as much.  In the first photo there are a couple of tiles slightly protruding. In the last photo it is area outside the shower and when there was heavy usage I could see the water glistening along the edge and travelled to outside on the carpet.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @khwajas,

The first thing to do is have the drain attended to by a plumber and get it cleared so it drains properly. If water is pooling within the recess, then it will try to creep under your shower screen. Once the drainage issue is resolved, if the leak continues, you'll need to identify where the water is coming from. It's great that you've noticed the water on the outside of the screen, which travels across to the carpet, as that sounds like your leak. This would typically mean the water gets under the screen through your silicone. Take a look at the area inside the shower to determine where the water is getting through and if the silicone is compromised in that location.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects