Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal inside back of hall cupboard?

SLlo
Finding My Feet

How to seal inside back of hall cupboard?

h1.jpeg

hall2.jpg

I have a hall cupboard where the back has come off now the internal brick wall is exposed and looks very rough.  I dont know or nor do I have the skills to reinstall the thin plaster?  oe thin wood?  type material that was there so was thinking of just psining over the bricks with some strong sealing water proof maybe external?  white paint and then having the shelves put back in as they were by a handyman.  but I dont know if this is right or not.  the hall cupboard I use as a linnen cupboard it backs onto the shower in the bathroom.  and may also at some stage connect to the corner of the kitchen from a distance.  the base of the cupboard is also looking fough but this was not ripped away as I was concerned what is underneath it and didnt want to have to deal with a patch of dirt with mould all over it.  advice on the correct way to proceed would be fantacstic and most appreciated.

many thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal inside back of hall cupboard?

Hi @SLlo

The easiest option might be for you to measure the rear wall and have one of our helpful team members in-store cut a piece of 2440 x 1220mm 3mm Melamine White MDF to suit. You can easily glue this board to the bricks with Selleys 415g Liquid Nails Landscape Stone Concrete Adhesive. Make sure you do a full bead of glue around the board's perimeter and a few dozen evenly spaced dollops of glue for the middle. It will be easiest to apply the glue to the bricks and place the board on top.

You could have this backboard cut from 2400 x 1200mm 16mm Melamine White Matt for a more robust option. However, the 16mm thickness might prevent your shelves from fitting back in.

Is there a moisture issue with the bricks? If not, you can prime them and then paint with an interior white paint. If there is a moisture problem, use Crommelins AquaBlock as the primer.

A quick fix for the base might be to apply some white self-adhesive film.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell 

thank you for your help and reply!  I am going to go with sticking a piece onto the bricks as you have advised.  do you think I should fill all the gaps up in the brickwork prior to gluing the panel on? or should be fine to leave all the gaps as they are and just stick it ontot the bricks?

many thanks

sam

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Sam (@SLlo),

I don't see any need to fill any of the gaps in the bricks. Just apply some adhesive beads around the area's perimeter and a big X across the middle. I think you'll find that will work sufficiently, and I wouldn't expect you to see any significant distortion to the sheet.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects