Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to select timber benchtop for laundry reno?

cathie12
Getting Established

How to select timber benchtop for laundry reno?

I have been reading lots of discussions about problems experienced with timber bench tops in laundries. I was planning to use the Bunnings timber panels, beech or merbau, to create my bench top as a cheaper option to the Kaboodle Think timber range. Am I likely to have problems with waterproofing if I use these, as others seem to have had? 

I save about $1000 using these but if I encounter problems forever it’s not worth it. 

Additional question is should I join these in the corner with a mitre join or butt join - which is kinder to the change in grain? 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Selecting timber benchtop for laundry reno

Hi @cathie12,

I can't say that I've come across a significant number of people having issues with timber benchtops in a laundry. Provided that all surfaces, edges, cutouts and joins are sealed adequately, there is no issue with using a timber bench in a wet area. If you could provide some examples of the problems you've come across, I can run through ways to avoid them.

Will you be creating the join in the corner? If so, a butt joint will be simpler to achieve, but the direction of the grain change will be noticeable. A mitre joint will look nicer, but achieving a precisely fitting joint is significantly harder.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, 

I think the problems have been from them being oiled then sealed with Cabot’s clear for example. I think if they are just sealed it may be safer? 
Having looked at the options I’m thinking simple ( butt join) may be the way to go and will save on lengths needed. Most of the shorter bench will be covered by the sink anyway so hopefully grain change won’t look too bad. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Some of the panels do come pre-oiled, so if possibly avoid those, @cathie12. The only significant issue I've seen is the Merbau panels continuing to bleed after they've been oiled. Apart from that, most panels can be coated with polyurethane without issue.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, decision made. I decided on a straight join as it meant I could get the whole benchtop out of one 3m piece of ThinkTimber bench top. More expensive than buying panels but I just thought it might be a safer option. 
Will post a photo when it’s done. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We can't wait to see your results, @cathie12! Keep us updated!

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cathie12 

I hope I'm not to late with the suggestions. But just in case you wanted to see what the benchtops might look like I've sketched up a couple of samples below to give you an idea. But if you've already chosen your benchtops, please enjoy the drawings.

Eric

Cathie12 laundry1.jpgCathie12 laundry2.jpgCathie12 laundry3.jpgCathie12 laundry5.jpg

cathie12
Getting Established

Re: How to select timber benchtop for laundry reno?

IMG_7829.jpeg

 This project is taking forever but thought I’d update my decision. I decided to take the safe option of Kaboodle Think timber bench tops but  they weren’t in stock so I bought two panels of Oak spec right ( $130 each), had Bunnings cut them to size for me and stained them in Cabot’s stain varnish cedar gloss.
Chose to use a butt join as the thought of cutting the mitre corner was a bit too daunting. 
I used the Kaboodle joiners to pull the bench together. 
I love it and the surface is strong and seems scratch resistant. 
Still a bit to go but getting closer to completion! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to select timber benchtop for laundry reno?

Love your work, @cathie12; that's looking sensational, and I trust you are super-proud of your efforts thus far!

Congrats, and we can't wait to see your finished project; it's certainly shaping up to be a corker!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects