Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to silicon over existing floor tile grout?

Adelaide
Just Starting Out

How to silicon over existing floor tile grout?

DA78890C-E01B-4967-8595-DB14A891F04F.jpeg

8DBD4CE0-9EFF-41EC-BA80-C449086E8893.jpeg

4A898E08-E9FE-474A-89CE-D2C140D3149D.jpeg

   

Hi, 

I am installing self adhesive vinyl tiles over existing bathroom floor tile. I am wondering if it is possible/recommended to silicone between the tiles, over the existing floor grout, with a product like this? https://www.bunnings.com.au/dunlop-310ml-coloured-silicone-havana_p6820015

will I be able to remove the silicone from the grout in the future if we want to remove the vinyl tile and revert to the old ceramic tile? 

many thanks for any advice! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to silico over existing floor tile grout?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Adelaide. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about siliconing tile joints.

It would be relatively difficult to remove silicone from the joints in the future. You could potentially do so, but it would require silicone remover, a tool and a fair bit of elbow grease.

I presume this is to minimise any impressions from the grout lines showing on your adhesive vinyl flooring. Doing a test section with the adhesive tiles might be best to see if this will be an issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects