Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop my washing machine tap from leaking?

DanteL
Just Starting Out

How to stop my washing machine tap from leaking?

My partner and I just moved into our first property and when connecting the washing machine to the tap and turning the tap on it begins to leak through the handle area. I did a bit of research and have replaced the valve and the washer but it is still continuing to leak from the same place when turned on. The leak only occurs from the handle when the washing machine is connected to the tap and the tap is turned on. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop my washing machine tap from leaking

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DanteL. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about your leaking tap.

Could you show us an image of where the leak is coming from? That will greatly assist our members in offering a solution.

I suspect you've replaced the valve and the fibre washer, which I have marked with the blue arrow in the image below. If the water is coming out the top near the handle, where the spindle enters the body of the tap, it's the little black O-ring on the spindles shaft that needs replacing. You'll need to remove the tap and screw the spindle right down clockwise, releasing it from the tap body. Once the spindle is released, you might find a secondary O-ring hidden away. The O-ring and where you are likely to see the water leaking from is marked in red below. You'll find that O ring in these packs and sold individually.

Please let me know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects