Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile a shower tray (or base)?

AxelDIYer
Getting Established

How to tile a shower tray (or base)?

Hi

I have checked out this tiling job as named above, to help with my complete shower make-over in the ensuite.

As I am a complete novice when it comes to anything but simple tiling, I have the following questions.

1. Getting the fall correct - does the waterproof board under the tiles (blueboard?) need to have the fall to the back towards the outlet grate? 

2. What prevents the water from lodging against the back wall of the shower, instead of it all going into waste?

3. Does the fall really need to be centered towards the outlet (funnel type) and how is this done with the blueboard?

4. There is no mention of grouting ?

5. Would a prefab shower base be much easier (with optional tiling over the base)? I was thinking about a walk in type but this may present too much complexity for me.

6. Finally - is it possible to get complete new shower kits from Bunnings ?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to tile a shower tray (or base)?

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @AxelDIYer. We're pleased to have you join the community and look forward to seeing your bathroom renovation project progress.  

I assume you are following the Bunnings step-by-step guide How to tile a shower base. Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to assist you and answer your questions. 

In the meantime you might like to share some photos of your bathroom and also a copy of your plans so Eric and other members can see what you are working with and what you hope to achieve. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AxelDIYer 

Thanks for sharing your question about tiling your shower tray.

Please note that before you begin tiling, waterproofing your shower area is a critical task and must be undertaken by a registered water proofing agent. Generally, once the waterproofing has been done an inspection is undertaken and it is then signed off. Please check your local council's rules and regulations regarding waterproofing your shower area.

• Getting the fall correct. If you are installing a shower cubicle but using tiles as the base, it's important that the fall inside the shower be correct. I suggest having a look at this guide - How to screed a shower base. This will show you the basic method of creating a fall inside your shower. There is no need for the water proof board to be at an angle. However, you'll need to provide space for the screed in order to create the fall. 

• Since the screed has an adequate fall, any water falling on the edge of the floor will be directed to the waste. You can create the screed to point to the location of your waste. It's not necessary to have it in the middle of the floor.

• In regards to grouting, I suggest looking at these two guides - How to mix grout and How to grout wall tiles. The technique used on the wall tiles is applicable to floor tiles.

• A prefab shower would be relatively easier to install, but you will need to take a step in order to get in the shower. A walk-in shower is of course more convenient.

• There are a number of shower kits available at the store, I suggest having a look at the website or visiting your local store in order to see the shower kits available.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

AxelDIYer
Getting Established

Thanks Eric

My inquiry about "How to tile a shower tray (or base)", I now think this job was a tile-over to a prefab base with a built in fall to the waste outlet?

Currently getting ideas and looking at various shower sliding doors for my reno. My shower will be located at back of ensuite wall - so walls on 3 sides with just new glass sliding door at front. 

Issue I'm finding already is I have a non standard door width of 1165 mm, where as most doors come in standard 900 widths.

This extra width sliding door means a cost of about $1200 compared to about $350 to $450 for standard 900 mm width.

Same type of issue with the prefab base.

My other option would be to change shower to std 900 mm width.

Will keep you/community posted on progress. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AxelDIYer 

Can you please tell me the dimensions of your entire bathroom and the proposed location of the shower? Perhaps I can suggest a configuration for your shower where you won't have to spend so much for the door.

Eric

AxelDIYer
Getting Established

Hi Eric

Attaching 2 photos of ensuite to renovate.

Shower (wall to wall) 1165 wide by 1840 high

Shower base 1150 W x 820 Deep

Need sliding door type front screen only (in 2 or 3 sections) - no returns - all enclosed by walls

Ensuite Length 2900 excl Shower x 1165 wide

At 1260 mm back from shower, width reduces by 160 from 1165 to app 1005, due door to master bedroom.

Location of shower will remain where is, but completely replaced with new sliding door and base, new tiling.

I understand from my brother it's possible to tile over existing tiles??

Floor slate tiles to be completely replaced - vinyl floor boards or porcelain tiles (probably 900 x 600).

Toilet to remain - fairly new

Vanity to be replaced with new (currently 1400 x 400 x 830 H) - probably will cut back on width

Also looking to tile all walls, as per main bathroom instead of painting (i would prefer to paint - but boss "says ....").

Hope this provides detail needed.

Thanks again Eric.

AxelDIYer
Getting Established

Eric I attached 2 photos with my last reply - not sure if you got them ? maybe issue with upload??

You haven't uploaded any photos yet to the community sorry @AxelDIYer. Please give it another try. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AxelDIYer 

If after posting the pictures they still don't appear, please email them to workshop@bunnings.com.au and we'll post them for you. Just to confirm the overall length of the ensuite, that would be 2900mm plus 820mm which will give you a total of 3720mm. One side of the bathroom is 1260mm and the other side is 1005mm? Please confirm if these are correct. 

If I am standing at the 1260mm side is the vanity on the left or right side? Where is the toilet positioned? Is the bathroom door on the right?

It is possible to tile over existing tiles, but it would be better to remove the old tiles so that you have a fresh base to work on. There is always the possibility that the old tiles underneath might fail and come off.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

AxelDIYer
Getting Established

Eric - attached photos again with diagram & measurementsEnsuite from Shower IMG_20240119_142541_764.jpgEnsuite IMG_20240119_132322_603.jpgES Diagram.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects