Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof a shower wall before re-tiling?

Dempom
Just Starting Out

How to waterproof a shower wall before re-tiling?

I have a shower that water is getting into the wall all the time.

I had water leak fixed and then pipes retested came back all good.

I eventually had to fix tiles , so decided to remove tile found little or no water proofing under tile so decide to remove and start again.

have removed tiles, wall is a mess, it is a rended wall with a coating on top of it, how do get wall into condition for retailing or Mr wet wall.

need advice please.

image.jpgimage.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof a shower wall before re-tiling?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dempom. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about waterproofing a shower.

To start, great job removing those tiles! Next, you'll need to remove the floor tiles, as the waterproofing needs to be done in one continuous coating over the floor and up the walls. You can't waterproof the walls alone as that will leave a gap at the bottom where water can still penetrate. I suspect you'll find that if the walls have not been waterproofed, neither has the floor.

Regarding the surface, I'd suggest installing Villaboard sheets would be the easiest way to achieve a smooth surface ready for waterproofing. Have a look through these helpful step-by-step guides: How to install Villaboard in bathrooms and How to waterproof a shower.

Once you've looked through those guides, please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects