Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for a budget laundry reno?

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Ideas for a budget laundry reno?

740B78A5-F10A-4D0C-AE32-67905177D630.jpeg

Hello everyone! 
New to the workshop and interested in everyone’s ideas for a budget laundry reno, as you can see the space is quite small.

I am also wondering how to move the standard trough that is in there and replace with a cabinet? I see almost everyone doing it but I don’t know how they do?

would you all recommend a broom cupboard or more general cupboards? 

any ideas and inspo appreciated! 

thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas for a budget laundry reno?

Hi Bronte (@poppylee198), 

It's great to hear you're ready to go ahead with your plans.

Would you like the dryer on the floor next to the washing machine or on the wall? Judging from the previous designs, adding the dryer on the floor will simply take the place of the pantry cupboard and filler panel. So you'll have the washer, dryer and sink cabinet with benchtop over the top.

With tiling around powerpoints, you just need to cut the tiles to fit. If you're using larger tiles it might be easiest to glue them and then cut the powerpoints hole afterwards. If they are smaller tiles, then it'll be best to tile up to the opening and cut the tiles to suit before glueing them in place. The powerpoints cover-plate is then re-installed which disguises any rough cuts.

Please let me know where you'd like the dryer and I'll start on a re-design of the layout.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Michael.

I think you’re right that perhaps on the floor next to it would look good. I am considering this pic as some possible inspo.

I am just wondering though if there is any way for us to work around not having to move both the electricity and the laundry pipes? 

01A9FCFF-260B-4828-A329-0B3FE44C492D.jpeg

@poppylee198,

You can leave the washer's water outlets mid-wall, but it will be at the cost of aesthetics. It looks much neater if you have them dropped down beneath the bench. The same goes for the power outlet; you don't want two power cords running down the wall and through/behind the bench. I'd actually suggest you leave the current power outlet where it is in case you need to plug in an iron or other appliance. Have a secondary outlet installed for the washer/dryer under the bench.

The rest of this makeover is really quite budget-friendly. Something like your inspo pic could be put together for a reasonable cost. I'd highly recommend you have those services relocated as it will enhance the space's look. Grab a few quotes, and you might be surprised how inexpensive it is as you're only moving the outlet and taps, not having to create new ones.

Here's a render that is similar to your inspiration picture.

Mitchell

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell! 

We love that design.

could you please do the list fo the cabinetry/equipment we need for that?

do we have to get the bench cut to size and the hole for the sink put in or does it come ready?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @poppylee198

I'm sure @MitchellMc will be very glad to hear that you'll be using his laundry layout recommendation.

Here is the cabinet list:

• Kaboodle 600mm Base Cabinet I/N: 2662611 ( x1 )

• Kaboodle 300mm Gloss White Modern Cabinet Door I/N: 2660458 ( x4 )

• Kaboodle 600mm Wall Cabinet I/N: 2662262 ( x1 )

• Kaboodle Soft Close Door Hinge - 1 Pair I/N 2662006 ( x4 pairs )

• Kaboodle 2400mm Kickboard - Gloss White I/N: 2665387 ( x1 )

At the moment there are a variety of choices when it comes to your benchtop and shelves. The unfinished timber tops start at around $99 and the timber shelves are just as varied and affordable. It all depends on what your preference is. I'm afraid you'll have to cut down the benchtop yourselves unless you wish to order it custom from the special orders desk. 

The sink fitting is usually carried out on-site by the person installing it. It's safer this way so that no mistakes are made while installing the sink. The benchtop is usually supported with angle brackets behind and at the side of the washer and dryer.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your laundry revamped.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects