Currently trying to install a clothesline so I started with a retractable clothesline but the lines were either too loose or the tensions of the unit were uneven. (Pics below).
Is there a way to fix the tension so it can be even?
If there isn't, what other alternatives are there? The space I can install some sort of clothesline is 1500mm X 700mm.
Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Michaelwj. Many thanks for your question, I'd be pleased to assist.
Did you have the brand of the clothesline as that would give me a great place to start? Was it the Hills 4 Line Dune Retracting Clothesline as it looks very similar?
Often retractable clotheslines have minimum operating distance. The 1500mm you have is less than the minimum length required for several models I have found. This could be the cause of the issue. However, I would like to speak with the manufacturer first before we look at other options.
Thanks for the quick response.
The brand of the retractable clothesline is Sunfresh 4 Line Retractable Clothesline
I didn't know there was a minimum length so that's interesting to know.
I really appreciate the help, thank you.
Hi Micheal @Michaelwj,
There are a few things I would like you to try to see if we can resolve this issue.
1. Release the tension via the knob on the righthand side of the unit and allow the bar to retract back to the cabinet.
2. Pull the bar out of the cabinet and hook it back into the mount. Ensure when you pull the bar out that it is in parallel with the cabinet.
3. Once the bar is connected to the mount turn the tension knob in a clockwise rotation to increase the tension.
If this doesn't successfully tension the lines evenly I suggest you try resetting them.
1. With the bar sitting in the mount release the tension by turning the knob anti-clockwise.
2. Pull down on each individual line separately to reset the line tension.
3. Remove the bar from the bracket and return it to the cabinet.
4. Pull the bar out again and place it in the bracket.
5. Turn the tension knob in a clockwise rotation.
6. Repeat if line tension is not adequately even.
Please let me know how you go following these procedures.
Thanks for the advice but after an hour of trying to reset the tension of the line to get it even, it just won't cooperate.
I think I'll just look at a wall mounted clothesline instead.
Thank you so much for trying to help. I really appreciated it.
Hi Michael (@Michaelwj),
I'm sorry the troubleshooting didn't assist in fixing the issue on your Sunfresh clothesline. It appears the product is not functioning as intended and we would be happy to offer a replacement of the unit.
I can recommend the Daytek 4 Line Anthracite Black Retractable Clothesline. I have spoken to Datek's technical assistance and they have assured the unit will function correctly in your space.
I would be more than happy to contact the store of purchase to discuss the return and organise the replacement unit. I'll make contact through private message here on Workshop to get some additional details from you.
Have you looked at how the is spooling in when it retracts if some lines are winding on smoothly without much overlap as it is wound back on while other lines are have lots of random overlap this can give different lengths when unwinding. Can I suggest you totally unwind the line and then get help to guide lines in neatly. This may help even out the lengths when unwinding and give a more even tension. JDE