Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing Kinetic cistern valve

robyn1
Just Starting Out

Installing Kinetic cistern valve

Help. The instructions are missing. How do I reduce the height shaft to fit in the toilet. This is a very urgent problem. It looks like it needs to be cut, but that is very permanent. The nearest Bunnings is an hour away.It looks like it needs to be cut, but that is very permanent. The nearest Bunnings is an hour away.

IMG_20180331_115941.jpg

It looks like it needs to be cut. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Installing Kinetic cistern valve

@robyn1,

Sorry to see that you are having an issue with your cistern. Hopefully one of our members with plumbing experience like @LePallet can assist. Or perhaps you could phone your local store if it is too far away to drive?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand with your projects.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Jason I think you will find the bit giving you grief is a flush outlet valve. If you google "adjusting hieght of kinetic single flush outlet valve" there are some you tubes , one by vivasanitary may help. Its been a long time and I am not a plumber but I had to trim the side adjust on the one I had (cant remember brand)
James
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your input James (@JDE).

I will tag @robyn1 for you so she sees your post. 

Jason

cm3
Just Starting Out

I can only echo Robyn1's words. The instruction in the Kinetic box simply says "Adjust height" It does not say how. I did find this thread and hoped it would help. It doesn't. I searched and searched for an answer, then just followed my instincts. However by cutting the product I was voiding the warranty. I spent several hours including returning to Bunnings to get advice - but there was no help for me, so in the end I simply had to figure it out myself. (easy to fit?)

This is what I did to reduce the height to suit my existing Fowlerware toilet cistern. 

1/ Follow instructions up to "Adjust height" then:

2/ Reduce height of overflow tube directly below the plunger by two of their graduated tube markings. 

NB: the tube has rings around it which I assume are designed as guides for people like us to cut to a specific size. I used a hacksaw and it took 30 seconds to cut.

3/ Follow instructions for reducing the overall height of the valve (depress the small locking tabs of the ladder-like height adjuster.

4/ also reduce the height of the float valve rod (long grey plastic rod with round knobs on it)  by cutting off the amount that will allow the float to depress and initiate a flush, then return the mechanism ready for the next flush when the cistern refills with water

5/ Reinstall and check to see if your cistern lid will fit and plunger will flush. If it now works, the job is done!

If not, reduce the height of the overflow tube another section, and adjust the water fill height (on the inlet valve next to the plunger valve)
Finally, I found these basic instructions frustratingly missing. It took me hours to fit (first time I've done it) whereas the packaging describes the Valve as an adjustable height valve that is easy to adjust! With good instructions it would really be easy. Product is quite good, instructions are glib - "Adjust height as required" ??? Hope this helps someone else.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome the Bunnings Workshop community @cm3. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for contributing these helpful instructions. We really appreciate you taking the time to assist other members that might have this same problem.

I've made contact with Kinetic about the issue and have also passed your feedback onto our own merchandise teams. I'm sure the team will be keen to improve the instructions so they are more helpful as soon as possible.

We look forward to hearing about other projects you have on the go around your home and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share them with the community.

Thanks once again,

Mitchell

MGB555
Just Starting Out

Just bought a new Kinetic Inlet Valve from Bunnings.

To adjust the height it is quite easy. Look side on about half way up the shaft. You will see a connection that has a Blue tag. At the top of this blue tag you have to push this in. BUT FIRST, you have to slide down the grey 'locking ring fitting' that is at the bottom of this connection. There are two finger tabs, one each side that you gentle lift off and the grey ring will fall away. Now push the top of the blue tab, rotate top part about 10 degrees clockwise and this connection unlocks. You can now slide the two halves closer or apart, when you have the right height, just turn the top half back about 10 degrees to lock. Try the valve in cistern. When the height looks right lift up the grey locking ring and push back into place. This locks the connection. With this ring in place you CANNOT turn the two halves.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MGB555. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

Those are some great instructions that I trust anyone coming across this discussion will appreciate. It is always great to have input from someone who has used the product.

I'm sure you'll fit right in here with all our other helpful members, and I look forward to hearing about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects