Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is my water pressure too high?

Honest52
Cultivating a Following

Is my water pressure too high?

my house have water leaks from the laundry tap and undersink connection. A plumber is called to repair and discover that the water is 800kpa. 

Is it too high for leading water leaks of the property in Melbourne? 

How long a pressure reducing valve last?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is my water pressure too high?

Hello @Honest52 

The typical house pressure ranges from 500kpa to 700kpa, so 800kpa is quite high. The pressure reducing valve usually has a one-year warranty on it and some special units sometimes have two. But the typical life span of a pressure reducing valve is anywhere from 10 to 15 years. 

I recommend asking your plumber to bring down the pressure entering your plumbing system so that your tapware and pipework in your house will last longer. Excessive pressure will produce leaks and water hammering in your plumbing.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Honest52
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric for your valuable help!

Can the water inlet main valve be half closed to reduce the water flow to the property. Hence the high water pressure can be reduced inside the house?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Honest52,

I don't believe it works like that. Half-closing the main valve will reduce your water flow and the system's ability to build pressure when the inside taps are opened. When all inside taps are closed, regardless of the reduced flow at the mains tap, the closed system will still build pressure equal to that of when the mains tap was fully open.

If you are experiencing high water pressure in your house, it's advisable to have a plumber install a pressure-reducing valve.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects