Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is tapware compatible with unequal water pressure?

Jamey
Getting Established

Is tapware compatible with unequal water pressure?

Hi all,

I am currently renovating my bathroom after a major leak.  I have been gifted a few bits and pieces leftover from a friend's DIY projects and I'm wondering if I can make them work with my unequal water pressure.

This shower head, which is rated for all pressures:

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/greens-chrome-penny-twin-rail-shower-with-rainboost-technology_p0207991?s...

This mixer/diverter for the shower over bath, which is rated for mains pressure only:

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/greens-chrome-penny-shower-bath-mixer-with-diverter_p0208023 

What are the options for making the mixer work on unequal pressure?  A restrictor or equaliser valve?  Will the diverter work with lower pressure?

Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is tapware compatible with unequal water pressure?

Hello @Jamey 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding the Greens shower mixer/diverter. I've had a look at the Greens website and could not find a shower mixer/diverter restrictor that will allow you to use the mains pressure mixer in your bathroom. 

One of the issues of using a mains shower mixer in a low-pressure environment is that the cold water will start to push the hot water back giving you an unsatisfactory mix. It is either too cold or too hot and the sweet spot does not last long and turns hot or cold.

The same thing happens when the diverter is used as it assumes that the pressure coming out is equal. Your plumber could lower the cold pressure coming into the house but now the entire system is affected and now you have a low-pressure system for both hot and cold which is bad news for your shower head.

I propose selling your shower mixer/diverter and getting a Greens Chrome Avalon Shower Mixer with FloBOOST® Technology which is suitable for all pressures. Another option would be to get a Felton Designer 2 Wall Set Shower Chrome which is fantastic with low pressure systems.

Please note that it might be necessary to engage the services of a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt consult your local building authority before starting. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jamey
Getting Established

Thanks Eric.  That's great information!

If I get the Avalon mixer for the shower only, then the matching tapware for the bath is rated mains pressure only. 

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/greens-chrome-avalon-wall-basin-mixer-with-faceplate-suits-main-pressure-... 

Could I use a restrictor on this?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jamey,

Could you consider using the Greens Matte Black Avalon Wall Basin Mixer With Faceplate, which is suitable for all pressures? 

You could potentially install a restrictor, but that is really a trial-and-error situation. Installing one might resolve the issue but it's hard to tell.

Mitchell

Jamey
Getting Established

Thank you Mitchell.  Sounds like all pressure tapware is the way to go.

So all the other colours (matte black, brushed nickel, gunmetal) are all pressure but the chrome version is mains pressure only?  Does the chrome come in an all pressure version?  I already have a chrome shower head and a chrome tap for the basin so I'd like to keep the rest of the fittings chrome as well.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It would be best to speak with the Special Orders team at your local Bunnings Store @Jamey. They'll be able to check with suppliers in your area to determine whether we can order chrome versions of the tapware.

Mitchell

Jamey
Getting Established

Ok, will do.  Thanks Mitchell.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects