Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is there such a thing as tile trim?

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

Is there such a thing as tile trim?

Yes me again. Fixing dodgy brothers work in my bathroom. :smile: At the point where the tiles meet the bath edge needs tidying up. I wonder if there is some type of tile trim or a suggested way to firstly cover up the thick multi layer tiles on grout on bath edge (caulking yet to be redone) and secondly the daggy edge where a tile has broken off and a chunk of the thick grouting has come out when I pulled off the broken tile piece. The tile can be fixed (fortunately a clean break and easily put back in place and glued). Once the tile is fixed looking for the best way to make this edge around the bath end look tidy and neat (rather than like someone used as much grout as possible to just whack it on and cover it up). Sigh #Smanyquestions.

20230909_085503.jpg20230909_085534.jpg20230909_085540.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is there such a thing as tile trim?

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack,

I think this issue has occurred as they've tiled over and onto the edge of the bath, whereas you'd typically only tile up to the edge. You could potentially use a bullnose tiling edge to neaten the edge. It is designed to be installed when the tiles are, so it comes with a trim that goes under the tile. You could cut this trim away and silicone the bullnose to your tile edge. I'd imagine you'll have to place a bead of silicone under it, as it might not be tall enough.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That's exactly what I was thinking Mitchell. It looks like its PVC. What would I use to cut away the trim safely?

Thanks.

Aviation snips would easily cut away the extra trim @DIYHaveaCrack.

Mitchell

I bought the trim and snips and I think this will be perfect. Just to check best thing to use to 'glue' the trim on.....Selleys No More Gaps for Bathroom/Kitchen, Selleys Wet Area Silicone Sealant and/or Dunlop Ready to Go Tile and Grout. I have all three! Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack 

I vote to use the Selleys Wet Area Silicone Sealant as it is made for high moisture areas. I've used this silicone sealant in my own bathroom, and it provides superior performance. It's suitable for use on Ceramic, glazed and porcelain fixtures, metal, copper and brass fitting, plastic laminates, rubber, glass, stainless steel, concrete, grouts, and many plastics.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

So just an update. The PVC trim suggested worked a treat both to cover up dodgy brothers 1cm grouting on the wall and around the edge of the bath with the ugly exposed edge. The aviation snips were perfect for trimming off the part that should go under the tiles (take a note dodgy brothers) and I was even able to trim a small curve out so it would fit flush over the bath edge. I still have some silicone touch ups to do but it looks much better and tidier than it did so objective achieved!20230926_080231.jpg20230926_080256_resized.jpg20230926_080242.jpg

Wonderful work @DIYHaveaCrack, that looks SO much better!

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects