Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry sink pipe has dishwater outlet plug leaking water

sunillinus20
Growing in Experience

Laundry sink pipe has dishwater outlet plug leaking water

16326220767346985446206088323512.jpg

 I just moved into a new house. There is an outlet underneath the laundry sink (where I put the bucket) which I believe is for Dishwasher water outlet connection.

Water spurts out from this outlet when i turn on the laundry sink tap at medium and water starts to pour out when i turn on the laundry sink tap at high.

What should I do to stop this?

Please help me on this

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry sink pipe has dishwater outlet plug leaking water

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sunillinus20. It's brilliant that you've joined us and many thanks for your question about you leaking water.

If you aren't planning on connecting anything to it, then you can cap it off. Traditionally, most people would fill the hole with wet area silicone and stick a TIC 16mm White Round Rubber External Chair Tip over the barb. A Kinetic 21-44mm 304 Stainless Steel Hose Clamp can hold the chair tip in place. That outlet shouldn't be under much pressure and is only leaking as it is in line with the top of the trap.

After doing a little more digging, it turns out someone has finally come up with a product to more effectively block these barbs off. No more chair legs tips then. This Deks PVC Trap Dishwasher Outlet Cap is what you're after.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

You are very good. Thank you for the historical options and the final option which has now everything.

One more question. I had connected my washing machine water outlet to that spout. But the water did not go and the water in my washing machine started to leak from the front door of the machine. Can I use that spout to connect my washing machine? If yes, then why did the washing machine water not exit through that spout?

Is there anything blocking that pipeline?

Please let me know.

@sunillinus20,

It sounds like a flow issue where a large volume of water can't flow out of the hose and into the waste outlet. The water has then found the next most straightforward route, which was out the door. 

If your outlet pipe on the machine fits snuggly on this barb, then there is a possibility that the barb was not drilled out to full capacity in the first place. Have a look down inside the barb on the waste and see if the entire inside is drilled out or whether there is just a smaller hole inside.

You might like to do a test to ensure nothing has gone wrong with your machine. Place the hose into a bucket and run a fill and empty cycle. If the hose empties into the bucket without it coming out the door, we know the sink trap is likely the issue. Just be ready with another bucket once that one fills, or be prepared to stop the cycle as you'll end up with water everywhere.

If the barb is drilled out sufficiently, there could be a blockage in the trap or pipes, or you might require a larger spigot attached to the waste to plumb the hose into it. For some machines, this barb might be too small for their water output. Have you had your machine hooked up to one of these trap barbs previously?

Is that a bench waste I've circled in red? If so you might be better disconnecting it and connecting your washing machine hose at that point under the bench. You can then blank the lower barb off. It would be much better to have your washing machines waste water entering the pipework up higher rather than down lower at the barb on the trap section.

Mitchell

pipe.png

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Helped me a lot.

The pipe you circled in red is for the washing machine water outlet hose. Just that I planned to install my washing machine to the right side underneath the bench and fridge to the left.

16327116580864924706790115862982.jpg

@sunillinus20,

You can undo the nut on the left and possibly just loosen the two nuts on the vertical pipe. You'll then be able to swing the arm around to the right-hand side before tightening the nuts on the vertical pipe again. You'll then be able to place your waste hose down into the pipe under the bench. You might need to secure it into the pipe if it wants to back itself out whilst the machine is pumping water. Silicone tape would be suitable for that purpose.

Mitchell

nuts.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects