Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leak in Toilet

eemrun
Growing in Experience

Leak in Toilet

Recently bought a place and moved in. Noticing now there are leaks around the shower area. Also ripped a part of the carpet infront of the toilet and noticing damage there. Added pictures. The wet toilet paper areas are where we can see water seeping through.

Really disappointed with this and am worried about the extent of the damage. This did not come up in the building inspection which is surprising to me. Maybe I am wrong abt that one. 

Anyone had similar issues? 

937EDE95-CD66-40BD-B3EA-3AA7F439C162.jpeg

5BF4E08B-504D-4230-874B-9BC851D4F904.jpeg

jess_syd
Getting Established

Re: Leak in Toilet

Same here!!! Brough my house three years ago, two bathroom has the exactly same issue. Waiting for plumber to fix. 

eemrun
Growing in Experience

Hey Jess!

It is such a frustrating issue. Would be keen to know what sort of quote they gave you and where exactly is the problem? Also how is your plumber going to fix it?

I am trying to understand if this is covered by Builder’s guarantee or insurance. I guess depends whether this is a structural issue or not. 

jess_syd
Getting Established

I will keep you updated with quotes guess won’t be cheap. I got building insurance don’t know if it cover or not. Will find out, plz let me know about your insurance if it cover or not. Btw how old is your property and it’s double brick? 

eemrun
Growing in Experience

Thanks. I bought recently. Just 2 weeks ago. Property is 4 years old. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @eemrun,

Sorry to read of your issues. It must be very disappointing for you. How can we help?

Let me tag some helpful members with plumbing experience who might like to share how they would approach the problem: @EricL@JDE@LePallet@tom_builds.    

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Hi @eemrun  I must admit I hate leaky showers and fixing them can be very trial and error. Step 1 Id check to see if you have any comeback on original builder, good luck with that. Step 2 make sure not leaking down back of taps ie do you get water when shower not used - unlikely  Step 3 you dont appear to have a hob, shower is on floor a thin bead of silicon clear or colour to match tiles along all internal edges of shower both vertical courners and along floor joint. Bead only needs to be 2 or 3mm thick on each edge. Make sure you don't leave any breaks. This fixes most leaks in my experience. (Make sure you have liquid detergent on you hand or scribe when you smooth it out , stops it from sticking to you and clean up as you go). Step 4 try a shower sealer like crommelin shower sealer and waterproofer available ar Bunnings   Step 5 call a plumber this may require removing tlies and resealing pan. In my experience 90% of the time step 3 solves the issue. JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @eemrun,

It's great to see our members assisting with your issues. Before I get too far into potential fixes, can I clarify if this water is tracking across the tiles where you've placed the toilet paper, and the source is the shower screen where the last pieces are placed? If so, it's going to be a reasonably easy fix. 

Mitchell

eemrun
Growing in Experience

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I eventually went with a plumber who went with something similar to option 3 as @JDE mentioned. The builder took care of the plumbing issue. Fingers crossed this solves the problem. 

Want to thank you all again for all the advice!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear that the issue is potentially solved @eemrun.

Many thanks for updating us, and I'm sure @JDE will be pleased to hear that what they suggested was the method used.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects