Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking for ideas on a budget reno of my laundry

Tarkswalsh
Just Starting Out

Looking for ideas on a budget reno of my laundry

608B6558-5722-41BA-ABEF-A7224F4E427B.jpeg

0FAF66D0-D0F4-4AFA-B99E-F7E9020EFB4F.jpeg

  

Hi guys, moved into my house 12 months ago and after repainting and reflooring the entire house it’s time to update this old stinker of a laundry. 

its 1800 wide and 2500 long. 

any recommendations would be perfect, I’ve been lurking around previous posts but I can’t seem to find similar to my measurements.

ps excuse the mess, currently repainting more hahaha

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: looking for ideas on a budget reno of my laundry

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tarkswalsh. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laundry renovations.

Ever played Tetris before? Just combine a few of those skills with your own flair and styling. Check out our Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects for inspiration, and make sure to read through @Adam_W's article on How to plan a laundry renovation.

I was never great at Tetris, but I'm not bad at the Kaboodle planner. I'd encourage you to give it a shot yourself as well. You might be surprised with what you come up with.

If you can let our members know a few essential features you'd like in your new laundry that will assist them in tailoring their advice to suit your needs. Are you including a dryer and washer, and any chance you'd consider front loaders to maximise bench space? Is storage space vital to you? Do you need a full-height cabinet for broom and cleaning gear?

I've put together a design for you below. Let me know what you think, and we can change some things around if you'd like.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Looking for ideas on a budget reno of my laundry

Nice work @MitchellMc, many thanks for getting the conversation started and @Tarkswalsh's ideas flowing.

Let me also tag helpful member @redbournreno to see if she can kindly share her thoughts on how she would tackle the reno.

Jason

Thanks for the reply Mitchell,

looks great, I might have a play on that myself. 

I will be changing washing machine to a front loader so I’ve got more bench space and yes I’d still like the full length cupboard for brooms ect. 

What you’ve done looks great. 

I'm glad you like the design @Tarkswalsh! Front-loaders will be so much better bench space-wise. I've included the price list below.

I trust our other helpful community members will also have some wonderful suggestions. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tarkswalsh 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. Just to add to the suggestions made. I think it's important to consider how you'll be moving about in the laundry. Aside from looking great, I think there has to be a folding area and a spot to put the basket on when you've taken the wash out of the machine.

Will you be using it as a linen storage area or is it a dedicated laundry room? If space is at a premium inside the house, I suggest maximizing the storage area in your laundry. I've seen some fantastic designs where they have long benchtops, but that's because they have room to spare. It's a tricky balance between style and functionality.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

tarks laundry1.jpgtarks laundry2.jpgtarks laundry3.jpgtarks laundry4.jpgtarks laundry5.jpgtarks laundry6.jpgtarks laundry7.jpg

Great ideas by @EricL and @MitchellMc.

There are lots of things to think about, most of which are not thought about for a 'simple' laundry 🤣

As Eric said, storage is a biggie for a laundry because it can help take care of a lot of clutter from the rest of the house.  Your big initial decisions are: front loader or top loader washing machine?  And are you having a dryer too?

The next thing to watch out for is access to your roof hatch. For this reason, I would not recommend Eric's first suggestion because the wall cabinets protrude too far for a ladder to lean against. It's also a convenient reason to keep the cost of your renovation down by using shallow wall shelving instead of cabinetry (Bunning have lots of options for this). And it may also be a reason to ensure the washer and dryer are on the floor side by side. P.S. Always try to put your washer closer to the laundry tub and drain than the dryer.

Two next issues to consider are the window and the space beside the entrance door. It gives a much nicer feel to the room to have the window unobscured, so @MitchellMc idea of placing the wall cabinetry further away is great. Only go closer to the window if you use shallow open shelving.

Your budget might dictate whether you go for option 2 or 3 from @EricL plans because the tall pantry's are significant.  I like the third option best because you get way more storage BUT from your drawing, you might not have the depth behind the internal door to put the pantry in. In which case @EricL option 2 and @MitchellMc designs will both work best. You may have space on the empty walls to install a hook to hang your ironing board or brooms etc, depending if you want the pantry to have lots of shelving or for tall items.

Best of luck with it.  If you follow up with some images of the style you have used in the renovation for the rest of your house then I can provide some tips on a colour scheme that might work well for you. Belinda

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Looking for ideas on a budget reno of my laundry

Many thanks for your detailed response, @redbournreno. I trust @Tarkswalsh will be pleased to hear from someone with such valuable firsthand experience. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects