Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Old ensuite fan not working - replace or repair?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Old ensuite fan not working - replace or repair?

Hi brain trust,

Would you suggest replacement or repair ? 

b0dc00bc-4906-486d-9941-78301f9ad548-1000005102.jpg

Thank you for any advice

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Old ensuite fan not working

Hi @ivanptr,

Judging by the age of the fan (black plastic from the 1980's), I would probably suggest you have an Electrician look at that.

While the fan is being replaced, make sure that the fan is in fact ducted outside and not merely into the roof space above it,

this can have moisture issues during winter, if it isn't ducted outside.

Your Electrician should be able to sort you out.

BTW, this is not a DIY job, it will more than likely be a 230V fan, 24 Volt fans didn't show up in houses until the late 1990's.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr 

I suggest getting a new fan so that you will have a new warranty. Even if you have it repaired it is an old fan and other parts of the fan might begin to fail. I recommend measuring the size of the cut out in the ceiling before going to the store and getting a replacement.

Please make sure to engage the services of a registered electrician. Please do not attempt to change the fan yourself.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Hello @ivanptr considering there will be years of use on that electric motor it makes sense to fit a new one (and get years of reliable service), you will note that the replacement units come fitted with a mains rated 3 pin plug, this allows for easy installation (if a mains socket/lead is already installed in the roof space) however if hard wiring into the house is required it should be completed by a qualified person.

If you opt to go for a larger fan the template included (with the replacement) will make enlarging the existing opening so much easier, personally I would choose a unit with a draft stopper that only opens when the fan is in operation.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/lighting-electrical/how-to-install-an-exhaus...

The Building Code of Australia  (BCA) requirement related to the release of exhaust air to the environment for residential and commercial buildings states explicitly:

• If the roof does not have a coat of sarking material (silver paper insulation) and roofing tiles are covering it or decking with sufficient air leaks to the outside. Homeowners can install fan exhausting into the roof area in the ceiling.
  • If the roof is lined with sarking material then the air needs to be ducted to the outside atmosphere.

It's interesting to note that the BCA also requires a ventilation rate of 25L/s as a minimum standard for bathrooms

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects