Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Other suggestions for bathroom than tiles

PetaLlew
Just Starting Out

Other suggestions for bathroom than tiles

We have a newly built bathroom that we need to finish at minimal cost and that we can do ourselves.  I don't really want to go down the tile option, so suggestions please for 1/2 wall, shower and floor.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Peta

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Other suggestions for bathroom than tiles

Hi @PetaLlew,

Welcome to the community. We're really pleased you could join us and trust that you'll receive loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for this project and many others to come in the future from our amazing members. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Let me tag some of our helpful members in @Mathy@redracer01, @ProjectPete and @gippslandhome who might like to kick off this discussion for you.

I would also recommend you sharing some photos of your bathroom so members can get a better idea of what you are working with, and a little bit more detail about why you don't want to use tiles as tiling does not need to be expensive and is an achievable D.I.Y. project. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @PetaLlew and welcome. Unfortunately, tiles are pretty much the only option for shower floors. This due to the waterproofing requirements.

Could you share some photos, so we can get a better idea of your project? Cheers Deb :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @PetaLlew. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to continue the discussion.

As Deb has mentioned some photos of the area would be great to assist us. Tiling is generally done as it is the most effective and easiest way to cover a large surface area with a water-resistant layer.

You might like to consider Wall Art tile panels which come in large sheets instead of individual tiles. They are ideal for wet areas like bathrooms and can be installed with normal woodworking tools. There are also some natural stone options to choose from instead of the traditional tiles.

You could consider painting the walls if they were plasterboard with a wet area paint product.

If you were to let us know what alternatives you were considering, I'm sure we can provide you with more solutions for your bathroom project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @PetaLlew 

My friends are right for the shower area, it must be tiled. However you can also use wall art wet wall panel, but this must be installed by a builder, you can also use an acrylic liner however that needs to be in conjunction with a framed shower enclosure. Both these options require a tray. Again this must be done by a builder. We can't cheat on this Petal. Best option I recommend is to re-asses your budget and see what can be done or re-schedule until the budget permits a tradesman to finish the job. Good luck and be safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects