Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Our garage to laundry reno

ashleesellen
Having an Impact

Our garage to laundry reno

After removing our old 80s laundry with no storage inside our house, we converted part of our garage into a new laundry.

We did everything ourselves from gyprocking and tiling, to putting together cabinets, painting and replacing the door. 

802F1856-9B7C-4651-B73D-2C9BFE0EA072.jpeg

005AA956-BB3F-4CB6-A514-F5F0E722E2F8.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY JULY - our garage to laundry reno

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ashleesellen. It's tremendous to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your sensational project.

What an unbelievably gorgeous renovation! You must be thrilled with the results. I trust our members will be keen to hear all about the steps you took to achieve these results. Where did you even start?

I'm interested to hear all about the other projects around your home and garden. We're in for a real treat if they are anything like this one.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Michael! 

We started by writing a list of every item we wanted to store in the laundry and from there worked out exactly how many cupboards we would need to get the job done. We also wanted a shelf and a hanging rail (behind the door). These have been installing after the photo was taken. 

Luckily the garage had already been extended by the previous owner, so we weren’t losing any car space. Prior to making it a laundry we were using the area to store tools and other things. 
The previous owner also had a small sink installed so we already had drainage and running water.
Once we’d decided on a game plan it was a matter of framing and insulating the space we wanted, then gyprocking. We also opted to get rid of the window, as it wasn’t in a good position for the room. To make up for lost light we changed the door to a glass one (and to show off the laundry!)

My partner Shaun (a sparky) installed down lights and plenty of power points. 

Next we put together and installed the cabinets. We did this before tiling so we wouldn’t waste tiles and knew where they needed to finish. 

Since we were creating the space from scratch we decided to add a feature floor tile, which we laid in a herringbone pattern (this took ages because it turns out there’s a lot of maths involved in cutting tiles at angles!) 

We chose simple white subway tiles for the splashback, a square stainless steel sink and a plain white bench top for a clean, crisp look. (We also chose those particular splashback tiles as they were the perfect height to lay in two rows without having to cut them)

Then finally, we painted the room in Dulux Natural White and put in the final touches!

We love our renovated laundry and are so proud of what we’ve achieved (and it’s so nice to actually have somewhere to put things!)

72024954-73FC-47FA-BE5C-652EF38A3CD4.jpeg

A360BC09-0009-431D-9A58-7BCF71885141.jpeg

82E9FAE1-61CC-4F00-9413-F151DE49DF95.jpeg

6EDF9887-4D77-4240-8470-FD3E95DDF0EB.jpeg

3A2AC74A-73BF-4CEF-93F1-DEC2CCFC2EF7.jpeg

6F7ED737-E075-42E9-9B8D-1A65A06B7F91.jpeg

6DD399C5-B1CB-4421-92AE-44DDA8BF05AB.jpeg

B6FD8FD7-AAAD-45C9-AEA8-F0835C486F48.jpeg

8C939FE3-C18B-4D6A-BCDB-219524DDC0F7.jpeg

36566D99-4894-46A3-AD88-8750FEC1226A.jpeg

Thanks a bunch for the additional information, @ashleesellen. It really helps paint the complete picture for our members.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
theparlourroom
Having an Impact

Re: Our garage to laundry reno

Wow!!! @ashleesellen what a stunning transformation. How clever to use part of your garage. Laundry spaces are usually too small to be practical. I’m bookmarking this for inspo 😍

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@ashleesellen 

It always surprises me the amount of change an area goes through when a project starts. I did not expect the last photo from the first! Really nice work.

Dave

It's so good, @ashleesellen! I love your choice in wall art and tiles 😀

Do you have any plans to add under cabinet lighting in the future? 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects