Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painted old bathroom and tile

elmac
Growing in Experience

Painted old bathroom and tile

Hello, 

My husband and I bought our house over a year ago and the one downfall was the bathroom - the rest of the house is beautifully painted, polished timber floors and large yard. This weekend I decided to tackle this and give it new life and tie together the house. 

The bathroom has tiles which are in fantastic condition, just ugly colours that bring down the space and home, the floor tiles need a very good scrub after painting but we are looking to keep them for now.

I have posted the photos here and will add our process steps below as adding the photos here is delaying my device :smile: 

Before photo from the real estate siteBefore photo from the real estate siteIMG_6048.jpegAll taped, sanded back and primed.All taped, sanded back and primed.First coatFirst coatIMG_6103.jpeg

elmac
Growing in Experience

Re: Painted old bathroom and tile

We used the Dulux renovator range and super basic colours, painted our mirror and hooks with a light blush spray paint after sanding back with 80 & 120 grit. 

Inspiration for colours from the Dulux site: https://www.dulux.com.au/products/renovation-range/overview

For the wall tiles we used:

Electric sander
120 grit (very high gloss and needed to buff back) followed by 180 and final 400 grit before priming & used 400 grit by hand to lightly sand between coats.

1L Primer for Dulux

1L White Gloss in Lexicon colour (here on Dulux site)

For the cabinets:

1L Primer for Dulux above

1L Ticking Satin paint 

Mirror and hooks:

Sanded back with 80 & 120 grit by hand 

Blush pink ultra gloss spray

Tools:

Uni pro mini rollers - bought a LOT and highly recommend

We used the white gloss paint on the vanity top as well to spruce it up, very little needed and made a giant difference.

Selley's sugar soap 

Microfibre cloths

Updated the cabinet handles to basic kaboodle silver handles as well.

Tip - the gloss paint dries UBER quick so if you need to cut in and roll best to have a buddy or use both hands and do small areas at a time. 

The tape needs to be taken off as soon as you finish that area and re-tape for following coats. 

It felt like a giant job and very overwhelming but if I can do it, anyone can. My girlfriend and I tackled it over the weekend and I could not be happier. My husband is getting a big surprise when he gets home.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @elmac. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for contributing your project.

What an amazing transformation! You must be super impressed with your efforts. I trust your husband will be thrilled with the results.

We look forward to hearing more about your projects around the house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share with the community.

I'm sure there will be plenty of questions about your project as it will be of great inspiration to our members.

Congratulations on the new house and the job well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic outcome @elmac. Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing as I'm sure your work will really inspire loads of Bunnings Workshop members and visitors to the site. Bathroom makeovers are always really popular so we will make sure we feature this on our Project Gallery. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're so looking forward to seeing what other projects you plan to tackle around the house and garden. You're sure to get plenty of helpful advice and inspiration from other members along the way. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site, or ever have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @elmac 

Fantastic work! It's just like those you tube videos and they finish in like 15 minutes. I'm sure this took longer than that! Love what you've done with the vanity to create excellent contrast. Definitely gives the room a fresh new look. Looking forward to your next project!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

elmac
Growing in Experience

Thanks Red!

It certainly took a while but absolutely worth it. Really appreciate the positive feedback - particularly with it being a first one I have tackled!

elmac
Growing in Experience

Hi @Jason,

Thank you for the warm welcome and lovely feedback :smile: How exciting for a feature in the gallery. Looking forward to sharing all of many other projects we have on the horizon.  

annievdm
Finding My Feet

Hi @elmac that looks absolutely fab. I was wondering if you replaced or painted that soap dish above the sink? I am worried about doing mine and getting a streaky look. Yours looks brand new! ps. How is it all holding up 2 years on?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects