Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting or tiling over discoloured laundry/toilet floor tiles

Steve68
Just Starting Out

Painting or tiling over discoloured laundry/toilet floor tiles

Hi everyone. Steve68's first post as a newbie. 😎 I was wondering if anyone has done either of the above.

I have a small townhouse laundry and attached toilet where the floor tiles ( white ) have discoloured badly over 30years. The tiles are laid on the original slab foundation so the thought of jackhammering them up is not ?????.

So, I was looking for alternative like the above options. Hope I can get some really good advice or perhaps even other alternatives to the above that I have not thought of.

Cheers Steve.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting or tiling over discoloured laundry/toilet floor tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Steve68. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about covering floor tiles.

Have you considered Hybrid floor tiles? You could have a fantastic new floor all laid in an afternoon. They mimic real timber substantially better than the stick-on alternatives. However, those shouldn't be ignored either, as they could prove to be a really quick and easy solution. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay vinyl plank flooring

You could paint the floor, but at this stage, any painted coating should be considered a somewhat temporary solution. The first rock bought in on the bottom of someone's shoe will cause scratch marks.

You can tile over tiles if you use the Crommelin 1L Tile On Tile Primer, and the height discrepancy won't cause issues with transferring to the next room. Do you think the added height would be an issue?

You might like to post some images of the area to help spark some ideas with our members.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects