Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pros and cons to relocating a hot water system?

Benskimo
Making a Splash

Pros and cons to relocating a hot water system?

I want to overhaul my laundry, which includes getting some better storage in place. At the moment we have our hot water system right smack in the middle of the storage area. We *could* design storage around it, but one guy who is quoting on the job suggested relocating the hot water system outside (e.g. beside the house).

What pros and cons should I be aware of in doing this? I know they're pretty fragile beasts (internal glass and all that), and I'd never try to move it myself. Yes it would free up space, but it's not the end of the world having it there. Any advice? What's worked well and not so well for others? Cheers!benskimo-laundry.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pros and cons to relocating a hot water system?

Hi @Benskimo,

I feel your decision should ultimately be made on how desperately you need that space. It would be a much more functional storage space without it there. However, the cost might be prohibitive. Could that cost be better utilised on hardware and finishing touches?

The only glass I'm aware of within the heater is insulation, which isn't the breakable type. The move has more to do with cost versus benefit, and you shouldn't necessarily expect any damage to the unit. Out of interest, what was the additional cost quoted for relocation? Do you have gas at your property? If so, consider replacing the unit with a continuous flow unit in the same location. The cost of the new unit and installation could be less than relocating the electric unit.

I'm sure our members would be keen to assist in designing your space, whether with or without the unit there. If you can provide a floor plan and let us know what you'd likely to achieve, then I'm sure they'll have plenty of great ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc thanks heaps for your reply, and so quickly too! It's electric, not gas. A continuous flow unit sounds interesting, but apart from perhaps being same or less cost of installing a new one as opposed to relocating the existing one, are there any advantages to having an electric continuous flow unit? And if I relocated the existing unit, would that need some sort of shelter when outside? There isn't a ton of space either side of the house, that's for sure...

FYI, it wouldn't be the end of the world if the existing unit stayed where it was... it'd be nice to have the extra storage space, but we could box around it and use rest of the space that's there much more efficiently...

And re: designing/renovating the space, for sure I'm up for ideas. I'll make a separate post with floorplan and photos for that one!  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Benskimo,

No significant advantages of the continuous gas/electric units apart from potential cost. I'd imagine the cost to relocate your existing unit isn't going to be particularly cheap. Re-routing the pipework and electrical will be the majority of the cost.

It's recommended that water heaters outside be provided with shelter. Some units are designed for total exposure. However, I presume your unit will need to be protected.

As mentioned, I feel cost is going to be the deciding factor. I presume it could set you back at least a thousand dollars to relocate that unit by the time the plumbing is re-routed and the unit installed. Is the extra room worth that amount to you?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This is really helpful to know - thanks @MitchellMc . And yeah, cost is a factor here, since a reno of the ensuite bathroom and walk-in robe is coming out of the same budget! :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects