Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Re-painting over a semi-gloss painted door in a bathroom

Lesli
Finding My Feet

Re-painting over a semi-gloss painted door in a bathroom

I am managing a couple of bathroom renovations and decided to save by doing the painting. I am up to the door which is currently painted with what appears to be an old semi-gloss paint. 

1. Is it best to sand first? I read about using 180 grade sandpaper for this type of job

2. Should I do an undercoat? - I recently bought and used an aquablock undercoat for the new cornices

3. For the topcoat, I have some Taubmans waterbase trim enamel, interior/exterior, semi-gloss that has been used for other doors and architraves - is this fine to use in the bathroom?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Re-painting over a semi-gloss painted door in a bathroom

Hello @Lesli

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your door.

I suggest testing the paint on the door to see if it's oil-based or water-based. Grab a clean rag and some Methylated Spirits. Dip the corner of the clean rag into the methylated spirits and rub it on the door. If the paint comes off it is water-based, but if nothing happens and the door just gets shiny it is oil-based. 

If it is water-based you just need to sand it down until there are no more shiny surfaces. Apply the primer wait for it to dry then you can coat it with the Taubmans enamel paint that you have. However, if it is oil-based, I suggest using an oil-based primer, you'll still need to sand the door, but you can use the Taubmans enamel paint over the oil-based primer. My number one tip for this painting project is to make sure that the primer is 100% dry before painting the top base coat.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lesli
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric - your advice was really helpful.

The paint tested to be water-based. I gave it a good sand then the primer & 2 top coats and it's turned out pretty well.

Now to learn how to make the hinge recesses to hang the door on the other side of the architrave.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lesli

That's fantastic to hear, I'm glad the painting project was successful. I suggest saving yourself the trouble of making a recess and using a Pinnacle 100mm Zinc Plated Fixed Pin Non-Mortise Hinge Single. This hinge is designed to go on the door and door frame without having to recess on either side.

Please keep us updated with your progress, any photo updates you can provide of your newly painted doors would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to hang a door ( you'll see how the hinge works )

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects