Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing flushing mechanism from ~35 year old Caroma Dual Flush cistern

Joy0164
Just Starting Out

Removing flushing mechanism from ~35 year old Caroma Dual Flush cistern

Hi all,

I have a couple of toilets with Caroma Dual Flush cisterns in my house that would be 35-37 years old.  One of the toilets is leaking water from the cistern into the toilet bowl, not a lot but a constant trickle.  I understand that the cistern seat washer is likely to need replacing and have bought a Caroma washer kit to do so.  I have turned the water to the toilet off, removed the lid of the cistern and flushed the toilet to empty the cistern.  BUT I am having difficulty working out how to remove the flushing mechanism to get access to the washer to replace it.  Have checked online videos but the mechanisms all seem to be a bit simpler than the one in my toilets.  Can any of the experts out there give me some tips re how to remove the flushing mechanism?  Thanks.Help!! How do I remove the flushing mechanismHelp!! How do I remove the flushing mechanismOverhead view with cistern lid removedOverhead view with cistern lid removedCaroma Dual flushCaroma Dual flush

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing flushing mechanism from ~35 year old Caroma Dual Flush cistern

Hello @Joy0164

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Caroma dual flush cistern.

Due to its's age, there is every possibility that the cisterns flushing mechanism has been fixed in with calcium deposits. This will make removing the flushing assembly difficult. I recommend extreme care when pulling out the mechanism as it will be very brittle and too much force will damage the plastic. 

The flushing unit is being held in by a locking clasp connected to the filling valve. If you look at the labelled picture below, I've indicated which part needs to be removed in order for you to slide the flushing unit out. Please note that there may be a secondary plastic pin that's holding the unit in place. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your cistern repaired and functional.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
philippe1
Just Starting Out

I have a 35 years old caroma dual flush cistern.  The problem is for the past 20 years, when i push the half  button flush,the whole cistern get empty.How the problem can get fix.

Hi @philippe1 

Normally there is a water level adjustment on the half flush  over time  your adjustment might have moved.

So have a look your self and try it  or 

Take  pic and  postit for @EricL   he might be able to point out adjustment mechanism.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jewelleryrescue

Let me tag @philippe1 to make them aware of your recommendation. It would be good to know if they succeeded in removing and repairing the flushing mechanism of the toilet. But being 35 years old it might be just a bit challenging to find spare parts for the cistern.  

Eric

Hi @EricL 

Can you buy just a new whole wall mounted cisterns?  or  is it the whole toilet that comes with a new one.

I replaced my older wall mounted toilet with a closed couple dunny so much  easier to clean. and  less than $400

I know you can buy aftermarket  generic replacement parts that may fit  old toilet coupling.

I think all these options are heading for plumbers domain .

Hello @Jewelleryrescue

You can replace the current cistern with a Caroma WELS 3 Star 4L/min Solitaire ll Cistern. Looking at the toilet pictures it seems to be a linked toilet suite. It is better to upgrade the cistern especially if the cistern is more than 30 years old. There are circumstances when a repair is crucial, especially if it is a coloured set. However, if there is an option for replacement, it would be better to do it that way. 

Eric

Hi all,

I know this is an old post. However, just in case anyone come across it I thought I'd add that the first thing that needs to be removed after you remove the cistern lid is the plastice strip which has Caroma and Dual-flush on the outside. It isn't very obvious to pick up but it locks everything into place. Once you remove this - by using a flat screwdriver on the 'dual-flush' side to release the locked clip - you then release the bar (grey plastic from the pic above) and un-hook the brace that is attached to the outlet tube (the long square tube in the centre). Then you will be able to life the flush mechanism out. Then remove the casing (flat plastic which runs from beneath the grey bar on the right to over the base of the outlet valve. Once that is done, reach down and slightly twist the base of the outlet valve to release it from the three pins which hold it in place. once released, it will simply lift out. replacing the seating washer is the same as any of the newer models and there are stack of videos for that. When re-assembling the flushing mechanism, just work in reverse order. What I did the first time I have to do this was take a photo at every stage of dis-assembly so I knew what everthing looked like before I touched it. Done this several time over the years as my house has 4 such toilets and haven't been left with any spare parts after reassembly yet! :smile:

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @billkara01. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

Thanks so much for adding that valuable information to the discussion. I trust any of our members with a similar cistern will greatly appreciate your contribution. 

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and encourage you to reach out if you ever need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects