Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repaint bathtub - first attempt at diy

azza
Just Starting Out

Repaint bathtub - first attempt at diy

Hey guys. I have a lovely but old bathtub that would look great if I repainted it. Problem is, I have no idea which materials to use or even how to fo about this. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, azza :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repaint bathtub - first attempt at diy

Hello @azza

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about repainting your bathtub.

It's great that you've decided to give this project a try. Painting your bathtub is an excellent method of renewing the look and feel of your bath without having to remove it. If you have an enamel bath, I suggest using the White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. It dries to a tough, tile-like finish to restore previously discoloured or unsightly surfaces. However, if you have a fiberglass bath, I suggest using the Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit. This sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide before and after the bathtub painting project would be much appreciated. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a bath

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sri1
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

I am trying to repair an old bath tub. Its a rental property so unsure what kind of tub it is. See image. This is my first attempt so not sure how to fix the chipped of paint. Any help will be appreciated. 

Thank you

20240330_161939.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sri1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your bathtub.

Your first order of business is to identify if your tub is metal or plastic. I suggest getting a magnet and see if it will attach itself to the body of the tub. If the magnet attaches itself to the body of the tub, then we know it's metallic, if not then it is probably acrylic.

If you have a metallic tub which is also referred to as an enamel bath, then you can use the White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint. Please let me know which one you have.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a bath

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects