Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing the vanity countertop and sink

clllllll
Just Starting Out

Replacing the vanity countertop and sink

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice on how to tackle some improvements we'd like to make to the bathroom basin and benchtop.

We've just recently purchased this house, and the previous owners decided to tile and grout around the original stone benchtop. Initial thoughts that it would be difficult to remove with damaging the tiles, so we thought we'd overlay a laminate countertop and place a countertop sink.

We want to have a counter depth of 600mm to hide the counter below, but we can't seem to find anything laminate that goes that deep.

Any suggestions on what we can do? We're looking for changes we can do in the short-term, before doing a more ambitious reno down the track. 

Thanks!

image.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing the vanity countertop and sink

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @clllllll. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Congratulations on your house purchase, I trust it is an extremely exciting time for you.

Having a look on our website it appears most of the laminate benchtops are at least 600mm deep. Was there a specific style or thickness you couldn't find that you were looking for?

It would be worth having a look at our Top 10 most popular bathroom projects for inspiration on your project.

You might also like to read through these previous topics:

Personally, I think if you replicated something similar to what the MakeItYours team above did it would look fantastic. If you install a laminated timber benchtop, painted the cupboard with the Dulux Renovation range, updated the bowl and changed the taps and door hardware you could add a whole new look to the room.

We look forward to hearing more about your bathroom project and seeing your progression.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, really appreciate the response!

Sorry for the brainfade, I don't know how I misread those dimensions. I'm really liking this Teak Panel https://www.bunnings.com.au/1200-x-600-x-18mm-golden-oiled-acacia-teak-panel_p8330186, I had no idea these could also be used as a counter.

What's the best way to adhere the panel to the existing counter?

Agreed on painting the cabinet - the room gets no natural light so we're also looking at painting the entire room white.

Cheers,
Christian.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Christian (@clllllll), 

I apologise for the delay in my reply.

I would advise adhering the panel with Sika Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant and then screwing up from underneath through the old benchtop into it. Make sure to use screws that are less than the two benches thicknesses combined as that will prevent them penetrating the surface.

You'll need to seal the top to stop water damage. I've recently coated one of these panels in my laundry with Timber Protect 250ml Gloss One Coat Clear Oil-Based Varnish as it will only occasionally receive splashes of water. For a bathroom, you might like to invest in a premium product such as Feast Watson Gloss Clear Varnish. All exposed surfaces need to be coated including top, bottom, sides and any cutout areas for the sink or plumbing.

Please let me know if you have further questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects