Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retiling shower/bathtub wall: what the best approach to do it, and do I need to redo waterproofing?

aleksey
New Contributor

Retiling shower/bathtub wall: what the best approach to do it, and do I need to redo waterproofing?

Hi All,

I am planning to do a budget bathroom renovation, and I want to replace existing tiles in the shower/bathtub area. Can I just remove the old tiles and put new ones in the same place? Or will I need to deal with plastering (or whatever) and waterproofing?PXL_20210417_050313645.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20210417_050338057.NIGHT.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Retiling shower/bathtub wall: what the best approach to do it, and do I need to redo waterpro...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @aleksey. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It really depends on how much damage you do to the plaster whilst removing the tiles. Even tilers make allowances and pre-plan for damaging the plaster. Sometimes, it is impossible to remove the tiles without taking some plaster with it. You will probably damage the waterproofing around your bath whilst removing the tiles, which will need to be re-done. Here's a step-by-step guide which you should find helpful: How to waterproof a bathtub.

Have you considered tiling over or painting your tiles? Obviously, there might not be enough clearance to tile over in some scenarios, but it is an option if you weren't prepared to re-plaster and waterproof.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aleksey
New Contributor

Re: Retiling shower/bathtub wall: what the best approach to do it, and do I need to redo waterpro...

Thanks for your reply @MitchellMc. Sounds like I do need to plan for waterproofing

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated @aleksey. There are plenty of knowledgeable members here who will be more than happy to assist with your questions as your project progresses. We're here to help, so reach out whenever you need.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects