Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tile hole too narrow for multi tap spanner

BarefacedNovice
Growing in Experience

Tile hole too narrow for multi tap spanner

Hello again,

Already amazed by the brilliant support here. Still trying to change the washer on the shower wall tap. I bought the multi tap spanner set, which would have worked great usually but the particular spindle I'm trying to get off is inside a particularly small tile hole. Not keen on attempting any tile cutting. Any ideas what else I could use? 

Thanks again

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tile hole too narrow for multi tap spanner

Can you grip the section marked below with multi-grip pliers @BarefacedNovice? It's not a fantastic way to remove/install the spindle, but it could work if you're stuck.

I've got the same issue with my shower spindles, and that's how I got around it. You might like to post a picture to show our knowledgeable members, so they have a better idea of the issue. They might have some alternative solutions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MitchellMc,

One suggestion, instead of using muti-grips, how about a pair of self-locking pliers like Vice-grips?

If you set the width of the jaws correctly, before you clamp the jaws on, you can loosen stuff like this

without chewing the hell out of it, which is pretty common with brass, as it is so soft.

I don't envy plumbers when they have to work with this stuff.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Ah, yes, I remember seeing someone else do that with a rag wrapped around for some protection. Thanks very much. 

Really helpful tip! Thanks so much. Will see how I go. 

It worked fine! I just used a rag to protect and fortunately it turned pretty easily. Will certainly look into the suggestion from @MikeTNZ for future too.

Thanks again! This forum is amazing.

Glad to be of assistance @BarefacedNovice! Just make sure that you tighten the spindle well when re-inserting. Turn the water back on and check for leaks before re-installing the cover flange.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects