Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tiling a splashback on heavily repaired/patched gyprock

Ant56
Finding My Feet

Tiling a splashback on heavily repaired/patched gyprock

I am about to tile for the first time. Have repaired an old gyprock wall by patching & spreading new plaster. I have 300mm x 100mm white subway tiles. The area to tile is a splash back & is about 1.5 sq.m

I'd like advice on:

1. Any need to prime plaster repairs 7 joins

2. Which tile adhesive is best.

3. Should i use 1.5, 2 or 3 mm spacers.

I hope you can help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tiling a splashback on heavily repaired/patched gyprock

Hello @Ant56

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about tiling a splashback on heavily repaired/patched gyprock.

Thank you for sharing your tiling project with us. If the surface is flat and the repairs dry you can tile directly over the surface. I suggest using the Dunlop 5kg Trade Resaflex Tile Adhesive, it is rated to cover 2 square meters. I recommend using a QEP 6mm Square Notch Handyman Adhesive Trowel. Use your tile to measure the size of the notch on the trowel, if the tile is bigger than the notch of the trowel get the next size up. Using a small trowel will not spread the glue correctly and your tile will fall off.

Using a 3mm gap for the tiles should be ideal as your tiles are not big. Small gaps look better on large tiles where it makes it look seamless. To keep dirt and debris out of the grout, I suggest using the Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer, this will add protection and make it easier to clean and maintain the grout. It sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide while tiling the wall would be much appreciated.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ant56
Finding My Feet

Eric

Thanks very much for your help. Just one other question.
I have had to repair the wall with plaster & put a skim coat on top. Do I need to seal the wal before tiling?
Ant
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ant56

I suggest using the Dunlop 1L Multipurpose Water Based Primer to prime the area. Please make sure that the skim coat has totally cured before applying the primer.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Ant56
Finding My Feet

Eric

thanks very much for your assistance.

ant

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Ant56, and reach out if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects