Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber Benchtop against existing subway tiles

JQT
Just Starting Out

Timber Benchtop against existing subway tiles

Hello, 

I am installing a benchtop in my laundry that is completly tiled. Does it matter if i install the benchtop against the existing wall tile or should i remove the tile were the benchtop touches the wall and replace the tile (backsplash)? 

Is there any downsides to just fitting it directly on the exsisting tile?

Thanks,

Jim  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Benchtop against existing subway tiles

Hello @JQT

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing your benchtop against existing subway tiles. 

The typical depth of a laundry cabinet is around 580mm, most benchtops are usually 600mm in depth. When the benchtop is placed on top of the cabinets, there will be an overhang of at least 20mm. If for example, we were to estimate the thickness of the subway tile plus the glue, it would come around 8 to 10mm. If you install your benchtop in front of the tile, you would have to add that thickness to the overhang. Instead of having a 20mm overhang, it would now be 30mm. 

I don't see any downsides to your proposed installation. Once the benchtop is pushed against the tiles and is secured onto the cabinets a bead of silicone will provide an adequate seal between the tiles and benchtop. However, consideration must be made for the size of the laundry tub and tap if you're installing any. It sounds like a laundry renovation! Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your project? Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. If you have any other questions regarding your remodeling project, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects 

Let me tag our experienced members @Jesse1 and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jesse1
Having an Impact

Re: Timber Benchtop against existing subway tiles

We installed our bench top up against the existing splashback. The tiles were white and laid well with no drummy tiles. Our taps were wall mounted and the sink was over the bench top. The result is great. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects