Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wall Niche Ideas

ppp
Having an Impact

Wall Niche Ideas

Would like to add extra storage space in my laundry or bathroom. I want to start DIY stuff in my home with recessed wall cavity shelves. The house is new built a year ago, but builder has given basic cabinets only.  Can someone please put your thoughts on these? 

Is this the right first project ( have no experience at all) to start with in DIY house stuff ? 

Please suggest any better way of doing this other than below Bunnings video?

https://youtu.be/s0Iw0I0HmK8

Obviously looking to save money by doing all stuff myself, but open to any suggestions also to spend extra for that great look.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Wall Niche Ideas

Hi @ppp - congrats on a new build house! A photo of the area is always handy to help us, help you :smile:

There’s a lot of questions here to think about:

1. Do you have room to attach things to your walls instead of cutting holes into them? Eg., floating shelves, cubes etc.

2. If you choose to install niches (as per the video), do you have the tools, or if you buy the tools, will you use them again? Tools are useful if you’re committed to DIY, but get expensive if you only use them once.

3. Are you happy to learn on the job? Because mistakes can happen, it’s part of DIYing - often the best learning is from making mistakes.

My thoughts for what it’s worth, do get back to us, cheers Deb :smile:

ppp
Having an Impact

D29FD8B5-A430-42AA-88F0-0B3A3E404D0D.jpeg

Thanks Mathy

1) Yes I have enough space for shelves and all but those are my future planned projects.

2) Yes I will buy all necessary tools as and when required. Also I have many projects in my mind but want to start with this one. 
3)Yes I’m ready to learn and learn and

learn and improve on from mistakes.

Attached is the area where I want to add niche. But this is only 28cm wide - blue line. 

if someone suggest any better suggestions, much appreciated .

a

ppp
Having an Impact

Hi @Jason , @Mathy

Can someone please suggest me, how easy to achieve this project in 28cm wide space as shown in figure.
hoping for some ideas and suggestions
thank you
EdwardW
Having an Impact

There are many ways to fill a niche... I have done it with a fireplace niche in a bit of a more complex way, but as a first project you could make a simple shelves unit. Plywood with a glued on timber strip edge banding could do great if you like the timber look, or you could think of a veneered board or even melamine... 

IMG-20200809-WA0022.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @ppp 

Before I make suggestions do you wish to have doors on these or are you just making display shelves? If it is 28 cm deep how wide do you wish to make the shelves? Are we covering the whole wall?

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @ppp 

Perhaps something like this? If you see a design you prefer please post a picture or even a simple drawing of the shelf lay out and I will try to build you a plan.

Cheers,

Red

ppp1.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects