Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Washing Machine setup under sink

wendylee
Growing in Experience

Washing Machine setup under sink

This is the setup under my laundry sink for my washing machine in a unit. The water pipes go through a hole in the cabinet and then connect to the relevant taps. However, I told the guy who connected it that I normally only use cold water, so the hot water valve/tap is in the off position. I now want to wash some things in hot water so is it just a matter of turning the tap thing with the red dot left to turn it on.

I'm also a bit worried that the cold water tap isn't connected properly. It's just that some one said the purple tap is normally for recycled water for toilets etc. 🙄

If some one could advise that be would be great!Under Sink SetupUnder Sink Setup

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Washing Machine setup under sink

Hello @wendylee

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your washing machine tap setup under your sink. 

Looking at the setup that you have, I don't think the tap with the red button is for the hot water. In this particular instance, I recommend engaging the services of the body corporate handyperson to help with the washing machine tap setup. Usually, a purple tap indicates greywater, this type of water is processed but can't be used for drinking, cooking, bathing, filling pools or spas and bidets.

Having the hot water tap in line with the cold water is not really going to work as you'll end up with warm water. The hot tap is normally by itself and is connected to the hot water cylinder. Are there any other taps under your sink that has a threaded connector on them? If there is that might be the hot water tap and that's where you'll need to connect your tapware. But just to be safe please consult the handyperson before making any connections.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Vis-á-vis for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wendylee
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your reply Eric. No I don't think there are any other taps, but thanks for your reply. It's very unusual isn't it.

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @wendylee I must say that's very confusing...
As @EricL said generally purple indicates grey or recycled water and unless it has gone through very high levels of treatment it's not fit (or legal) for use for something such as washing clothes.
Having those two taps connected in a line is very odd too. Normally if a washer had hot & cold inputs you would connect then separately, not through one line, then the washer mixes down the input water to a suitable temperature by blending hot & cold supply.
What type of washer do you have? I know many front-loaders actually heat their own water so don't need to be connected to hot water supply.

wendylee
Growing in Experience

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. My washer is a Simpson Top Loader but it doesn't heat the water sadly.

I live in a unit block so I'm thinking that we all have the same setup 🤔. So I feel a little stupid to realise that I'm washing my clothes in grey water as on further inspection under the sink there's a sticker to say "recycled" next to the cold tap.

Initially I was trying to find out how to  connect the hot water as I normally wash in cold water but needed to wash some things for my son in hot water.

Maybe I should speak to the building manager, I don't know.

Thanks again for your reply.

Wendy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @wendylee

Don't be discouraged, I suggest going with your idea and speaking to the building manager to get clarification about the hot water setup under your sink. Another possible source of information is your neighbour, they could possibly have the same laundry set up so it's best to investigate.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wendylee
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. Much appreciated.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects