Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Waterproofing preformed showerbase?

Neal_H
Getting Established

Waterproofing preformed showerbase?

Hi,

I have a preformed showerbase I want to fit into an old brick California bungalow bathroom. All the render/plaster has fallen away when I removed the old shower and shower base.

I am going to re-render the wall, then waterproof it with dunlop waterproofing paint and the corner tape. I have removed the old floorboards and 70s yellow tongue that was in the bathroom. I'm laying James Hardie Secura flooring panels over the old floorjoists.

My questions are around fitting and waterproofing the showerbase:

- Can I simply buildersglue the showerbase onto the new secura floorboard? (I've looked at demos online and they use screed to level the showerbase?)

- should I fit the showerbase into the wall render slightly (see diagram) so that I can waterproof the wall but then also run silicon bead between waterproofed wall and showerbase, prior to tiling?

- the showerbase has a lip, should my tile be tile-cemented to the waterproofed wall and the run free the 20 or so mm to down the lip of the showerbase, then have another bead of silicon? (see diagram)

cheers

Neal

Neal_diagram.jpg

IMG_8724_closeup_showerbase.jpgIMG_8728_closeup_tiles.jpgIMG_8730_shower_wall_and_base.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Waterproofing preformed showerbase?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Neal_H. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about installing your shower tray.

Instead of re-rendering the wall, have you considered installing Villaboard instead? Here's a helpful guide: How to install villaboard in bathrooms

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to install a shower base. As you mentioned, a screed is used to set a tray. Not only is this for levelling purposes, but it ensures there are no voids under the tray.

Here's a video from one of our suppliers Gripset, on Waterproofing With Shower Trays which should answer some of your questions.

The tiles would generally butt up against the top of the tray lip with all of their surface area fixed to the wall. A silicone bead is then placed between them and the shower tray. I can see the benefit of what you've described, but I don't believe placing the tiles within the tray is common practice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Neal_H
Getting Established

Great thanks so much for your thoughtful reply Mitch!

I'll have a look at those videos tomorrow....

I did find the Aust Standards online and they show the wall and tile dropping down in front of the showerbase lip, see attached?

cheers

NealAust_standards_figure3_1.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Neal_H,

Sorry, just to clarify. There is no pronounced and raised lip on your shower tray with a horizontal surface for the tile to butt up against. The image you have found is what I was describing (albeit not particularly well). I'm more familiar with trays like these, and I'm not actually sure if your tiles are to drop in and sit on that internal ledge instead, as it's very shallow. I suspect that they do, and this is just a more modern design.

Was that the Estilo 900 x 900mm Square Shower Base? If so, I'd like to call the supplier tomorrow to clarify where the tiles should finish. I'll also chat with my knowledgeable colleague @EricL to make sure I'm passing on the correct information.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mitchell

Neal_H
Getting Established

Thanks Mitch, and no worries about patience, I want to take it slow as I'm a DIY and haven't fitted a showerbase before!

No, our showerbase is not the Estilo. It is the 'urethan-marble curved showerbase here: https://www.elegantshowers.com.au/collections/curved-base/products/elegant-showers-curved-shower-bas...

We bought a curved shower to increase the space in the bathroom a bit!

As you can see in my photos above the lip of the showerbase is 25mm high and 5mm thick. 

My sense is that with this design the tiles are supposed to drop down in front of the lip (tile flange).

I've attached the schematic of my showerbase (but it just has the measurements).

I've also attached a diagram I found here: https://mirolin.com/integral-tile-flange/ which shows another 'integrated tile flange' and installation which shows the tile dropping right down onto a showerbase and then a silicon bead (caulking) along its edge.

I think I would prefer to have a silicon bead between the bottom edge of the tile and the showerbase rather than, as advised in this diagram, have the tile butt onto the showerbase then run the silicon bead along the join.

but, yes it would be great to have EricL's thoughts on the matter too!

mirolin_integrated_tile_flange.jpgcurved_showerbase.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neal_H,

I'm still waiting for a response from one of our supplier's technical teams. They do a similar lip on their base, and hopefully, they can clear this up for us. After doing some more reading on integral tile flanges, you appear to be on the right track, and the tiles drop into the tray.

I'm looking forward to getting this resolved and following along with your project.

Mitchell

Neal_H
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, ok good news - I’ll wait for you to confirm though - plenty other things to get on with!

cheers Neal

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neal_H,

On our similar products, the tiles are to finish on the slightly raised section within the tray. The thin lip gets recessed into your wall, and the render or backing board butts up against it. The tiles are then laid over the top and continue down into the tray, finishing with a bead of silicone. This is the same as the picture below and your first image in this discussion.

I hope that clears things up for you, and many thanks once again for your patience.

Mitchell

tile.png 

Neal_H
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, I'll let you know how I go and post a pic (if it might be useful for others)... I"ll be back into it this Friday

cheers

Neal

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Adding progress photos of your project will definitely help other members, and we can't wait to see your results @Neal_H!

I'll be looking forward to it.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects