Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Waterproofing preformed showerbase?

Neal_H
Getting Established

Waterproofing preformed showerbase?

Hi,

I have a preformed showerbase I want to fit into an old brick California bungalow bathroom. All the render/plaster has fallen away when I removed the old shower and shower base.

I am going to re-render the wall, then waterproof it with dunlop waterproofing paint and the corner tape. I have removed the old floorboards and 70s yellow tongue that was in the bathroom. I'm laying James Hardie Secura flooring panels over the old floorjoists.

My questions are around fitting and waterproofing the showerbase:

- Can I simply buildersglue the showerbase onto the new secura floorboard? (I've looked at demos online and they use screed to level the showerbase?)

- should I fit the showerbase into the wall render slightly (see diagram) so that I can waterproof the wall but then also run silicon bead between waterproofed wall and showerbase, prior to tiling?

- the showerbase has a lip, should my tile be tile-cemented to the waterproofed wall and the run free the 20 or so mm to down the lip of the showerbase, then have another bead of silicon? (see diagram)

cheers

Neal

Neal_diagram.jpg

IMG_8724_closeup_showerbase.jpgIMG_8728_closeup_tiles.jpgIMG_8730_shower_wall_and_base.jpg

Jack7
Just Starting Out

Re: Waterproofing preformed showerbase?

Hi @Neal_H 

Thanks for that helpful drawing of building regs. Was there one showing how to doe this with a stud wall?

We're wanting to fit a pre formed shower base onto a slab in our bathroom (taking out the old smaller one) and fitting it up to the stud wall.

We've been told that the wall lip of the base needs to be set back into the studs in the wall and then put the water proof board over the top of that.

A diagram showing where to put waterproofing and where the board goes in relation to the studs so that water doesn't go back behind the shower base and into the wall, would be great.

Thank you for any help, Jack

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jack7

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your shower tray installation.

My Colleague @MitchellMc has actually placed helpful links earlier that should give you an idea of how the tray is installed in a stud wall. He's also provided guides on how to install Villa Board and how to waterproof the area. Please note that it is always important to check the rules and regulations of your local council concerning waterproofing and shower installations.  

Here are the links to the step-by-step guides:

If you look back at the earlier responses you'll notice a post with a picture of the board going past the lip with a bead of silicone at the bottom. Generally, once the tile is placed over the board another bead will be placed between the tile and the shower tray. But as I've mentioned earlier, it's important to check the rules and regulations in your area before you start working on your shower tray.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jack7
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your links which I've watched. The two Bunnings links are really helpful although what is missing is installing the villaboard into the formed shower tray. I wanted to see how and where the water proofing is applied so that water doesn't creep back up behind the board.

The other link to the guy from Gripset is great but commentary only - there is no demonstration nor any diagrams. I've called Gripset in SA as recommended in the video clip and they are 'looking into providing more detail' but I don't feel hopeful as the guy I spoke with didn't seem to know what I was referring to or the You tube clip and wasn't able to point me to any diagrams or documentation etc.

Since my request to your blog I went to James Hardie and they have an electronically available installation guide which shows the way to do this for a stud wall, waterproofing plus nogins etc. It is very helpful and now I know what to do. I hope this resource can be helpful to others as well. Thanks again, Jack

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jack7

I'm glad the information I've referred to has given you some ideas for installation. It's great that you've seen the James Hardie Wet Area installation brochure. I'm sure it will be a handy reference while installing your shower tray.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects